1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia movement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the OKC bombing also scared some sense into a lot of less-than-hardcore militia members. Separated the contenders from the pretenders, if you will. A lot of people saw that and realized exactly what sort of path they were on, and decided it wasn't worth it.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Recently read a Tom Junod piece about an FBI sting on some "militia members" in Georgia, I believe. A group of old guys who basically talked shit around a snitch with a very questionable past that the government had on its payroll, and now they're likely gonna die in prison. Not the most efficient use of resources. But at least they're Americans.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or there was a directive to come down harder than a coffin nail on them.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I dunno, sounds like half the crazy Jihadist plots they bust up domestically, doesn't it?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, at least they're consistent.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Somewhere, Zag draws wood.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh, no doubt. But I also think it turned off (for lack of a better term) a lot of folks who might have been sympathetic to the movement. It's hard to grow a movement when you can't recruit new members to replace the ones who are getting arrested.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Mother Theresa is Osama bin Laden.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Remember covering the Salt Lake Olympics and reading several stories (including a big one in The New York Times) about militias in Utah.

This is such a stupid thread...there are militias no matter who is president.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I thought militias were invented in January 2009.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Quoting the original story:

There were 149 militias and patriot groups when Obama took office, compared to more than 1,200 today — an increase of 755 percent, the nonprofit civil rights organization reported.

"The increase has just been astounding," said Mark Potok, editor-in-chief of the SPLC report. "The reality is that many of these groups are becoming more and more fearful that Barack Obama will win the re-election. You can see the anger rising along with that fear."

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

But Elliotte is right in his understanding of the militia movement, except when he's dead wrong in this case.

Draft saved Draft deleted