1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Military experience = presidential loser??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 17, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

With all the talk about military experience and McCain running his campaign on a platform without much other than his POW experience -- "I know how to win wars," he said the other day -- I got to thinking about this. Only once in my lifetime has a candidate with MORE military experience than his opponent won the presidency: Bush in 1988

2004: Bush (Texas Air National Guard) vs. Kerry (Lt. in Navy, fought in Vietnam, three Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star)

2000: Bush (Texas Air National Guard) vs. Gore (Enlisted in the Army, military journalist in Vietnam)

1996: Clinton (None) vs. Dole (2nd Lt. in Army, fought in WWII, two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star)

1992: Clinton (None) vs. Bush (Naval avaiator in WWII)

1988: Bush (Naval aviator in WWII) vs. Dukakis (None)

1984: Reagan (Army reserve during WWII, never came close to combat) vs. Mondale (Army during Korean War, never came close to combat)

1980: Reagan (Army reserve during WWII, never came close to combat) vs. Carter (Naval Academy, seven years in Navy in various operations)

1976: Carter (Naval Academy, seven years in Navy in various operations) vs. Ford (Extensive WWII experience in the Navy, many decorations)

1972: Nixon (Naval reserve officer, supply corps in the South Pacific) vs. McGovern (Army/Air Force in WWII, B-24 pilot, Distinguished Flying Cross)

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I beg to differ.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting, thoughtful thread.

5. Mizzougrad96

I don't think people respect the military like they used to and I think that's unfortunate.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Could it be that military experience doesn't aid the Commander in Chief like it once did? I'm not implying anything, just wondering if that's the case.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think it's a coincidence, and attempts to argue otherwise all end up looking silly.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

In the past, many of the military men who went on to become Commander In Chief were celebrated as heroes, being victors of recent wars which were fresh on the minds of voters. So obviously it meant more than it once did.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think the "Ike" experience demonstrated that the two jobs are pretty different. You'd think people would have learned from having Grant but, then again, I'd have voted for Teddy Roosevelt, too. He was a charming SOB in his own way.

And, wait, I'll take Carter's experience over Ford's, anyway. Ford's ship was active during WWII so he had actual war experience but Carter, in addition to pretty distinguished service in some pretty heady programs (like nuclear subs under Ryckover), graduated high in his Naval Academy class.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think since the Vietnam Conflict, the majority of the public doesn't respect the military anymore. How many generals of the last 30 plus years are household names? Powell, Schwarzkopf (sp?), Wesley Clark...

Military leaders used to be among the most respected people in the country. It's no longer the case.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I was thinking when read this thread that future nominees with Iraq war experience will probably curb using it a selling point to voters.

12. Mizzougrad96

I would probably agree with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted