1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Military academy question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Slydell, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Quick question. We had a kid going to Navy to play football who signed today.

Although I know it's not a traditional letter of intent, would he just be signing his appointment? I forgot to ask.

Thanks.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I wrote a story on one of our kids signing with Navy for tomorrow, and just called it a letter of intent. If it's wrong, hopefully someone here will let us know.

3. KYSportsWriter

A Connecticut paper called it a LOI as well.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

OK. Thanks. I'll call it that until told otherwise.

5. Navy does not participate in the National Letter of Intent, although it's possible the lowercase "letter of intent" might apply. http://www.navysports.com/compliance/navy-compliance.html

6. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

What about Army?

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

When dealing with Air Force in the past, I just said "signed to play [sport] with the Air Force Academy."

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Our usage, and I've seen it elsewhere, has always been that said player "accepted an appointment" to one of the academies.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'd think the rules stated here would apply to all three academies.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, there are no athletic scholarships, so I don't think you can sign one. Everyone's on the same full scholarship. Basically all he's doing is saying that he'll play football at Navy. I'm not sure it carries any more weight than "signing" with a D-III. It may, though, since his recruitment/admission may be partially based on football.

11. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

"Accepted an appointment" is correct. As far as I know, those who have committed to service academies don't sign anything on signing day. They don't finalize their commitments until the summer.

12. KYSportsWriter

Not according to the kid I covered yesterday morning.

His coach said he was going to fax his signed papers in.

Draft saved Draft deleted