1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milestone Birthdays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jun 13, 2014.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Say what you want about first former President Bush (but not here), but skydiving would be a fantastic way to spend birthday No. 90.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/george-hw-bush-90-birthday-skydiving-107773.html

Have you had any cool celebrations for milestone birthdays?

I turned 40 in Morocco, but it was just a normal workday.

Birthday No. 45 was in Dhaka, and I got slammed into some weird local celebration involving paint and then went bowling in the evening.

2. joe

joe Active Member

I turned 30 by eating steak, drinking single-malt and smoking cigars while listening to music outside at The City of New Orleans in Champaign.

I turned 40, and two months later watched my firstborn enter the world in Jacksonville.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I gave up having birthdays decades ago.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've spent my 20th, 30th and 40th birthdays in Europe (my 17th), too. Gee, I wonder where I'll be going for my 50th??

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never celebrated any of my milestones but I surprised Mrs. Huggy last year with a trip to New York for her 50th. Amazingly enough she agreed to let me come too.

I turn 50 next year along with some buddies, I believe we are going to go to NYC for a three or four-day blowout.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm turning 40 this year, and I'll probably invite far-flung friends to dinner out like usual -- unless someone throws a surprise party. My mom is determined to take me on a celebratory trip... but I'm not sure when or where.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow. What is your favorite country/place in Europe?

I've never been there, although I hope to go at some point.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've celebrated birthdays but never a milestone one (new decade, half decade, 18 or 21), not since I turned 10. I worked on my 21st birthday and went and had my first legal beer afterward.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I celebrated my 21st by drinking the night I turned 21 in Pittsburgh with friends form home, then I got on a plane that morning and was drinking in Seattle with a bunch of SJers that night.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My 60th, in 2017, would be notable because I will - if I get there - have outlived my father.

I like birthdays. Means you're still in the game.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Paris is my favorite city. I spent 17 and 40 in France, 20 in London and 30 in Amsterdam. I love them all.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'd go with Prague, Budapest or maybe Glasgow as my favorite European cities. At least that I've done so far.

Most of mine will be overseas from here until I'm 65. The next milestone, 50, will probably be in Burkina Faso, Burma, Argentina or Pakistan or somewhere like that, though. Hard to predict right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted