1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miles Out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Les Miles having an affair? Based on his game management, he'd try to kiss her right as she turns her head and stick his nose in her ear.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What is Rant Sports? Is it in the Bleacher Report school of pseudo journalism? In other words, are their "writers" paid?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sam McGaw ‏@sammcgaw
    For the people claiming I will be sued, I wasn't the first person to tweet about about this rumor. Plus, Les Miles is a public figure.

----------------------

Probably not worth Les' time, but it sure would be nice if he did go for the lawsuit. At first glance this one appears to have the actual malice to at least get it into court.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or fuck her for 20 minutes, then lose his boner and end up pissing in her vagina. Then, after she stormed out of the room, her super hot, drunken, horny roommate came home and let him have his way with her.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The fact that we're talking about it here - and by that I don't mean we are doing anything wrong - is indicative of the problem. Someone is going to hear about it and pass it along as fact, without bothering to look two seconds further and see it is bullshit.

Drives me nuts. How many beat writers got calls from their editor today saying, "Yeah, I know. But check it out anyway?"

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Egggggg-actly

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Moddy, I don't think the problem is papers or other media trying to check out rumors. We've (I still say that, even though it's wrong) always done that. It's that the rumor isn't just a telephone call anymore. It's its own growth industry with a wide audience, maybe wider than the outlet that's checking it out.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone tweeted anything to this kid with keywords of malice, absent, Sullivan, New York Times?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There's no way this idiot kid could be charged with libel. Any judge would dismiss the case as petty and without backing.

Twitter's ease of publication would be used to refute actual malice. Medium considerations and ease of publication have been factored into previous rulings, if I'm remembering the law correctly. Any decent lawyer could argue that tweeting is too easy to accuse the idiot kid of reckless disregard.

10. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Please don't hire Sam Mcgaw, what a tool

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which was probably his goal all along.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This is an incredibly dangerous attitude and incorrect. Libel law doesn't change with the medium. Just because a publishing platform is easy to use has no bearing.

The kid's libelous post was spread far and wide and although the actual malice standard is high, his own admission that he was passing along a rumor and that he didn't check it out means that we can pretty easily get to reckless disregard for the truth. This kid could easily be sued for libel (as opposed to charged with, since most states have gotten rid of their criminal libel laws) and it would not be dismissed as "petty and without backing." The only real question would be how much damages Miles suffered.

Draft saved Draft deleted