1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miles from a point.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Alan Trubow

Alan Trubow New Member

I have a confession:
    I cover Texas sports, and I'm a Marriott whore.

I guess once or twice I've reported on where an athlete sleeps the night before, on or after a game.
    I didn't realize it mattered where I slept.

2. Magnum

Magnum Member

Marriott has a Courtyards at Auburn Hills, and others near the stadiums, IIRC.

And it is still a shit hole.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That is absolutely pathetic.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I actually think it is pretty funny. Which is pretty good, because it isn't anywhere near his best work.

I guess that would be the sign of a good writer. He can still make you laugh and get a point across even when he isn't near the top of his game.

5. I'm partial to Motel 6. ::)

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've also heard of reporter's plagiarizing or wearing homerish team gear. But I wouldn't paint all of us with that same broad brush as some on this thread seem apt to do.

On another note: Where in the hell are some of you people covering events where they don't have a Marriott property? I heard when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, he found a Fairfield there.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some college towns only have one Marriott property, and if that's booked you can be looking at a long haul to get to another one.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Marriott near Virginia Tech changed to a Sheraton property just as I was closing in on platinum. Then it went to a Holiday Inn. Not as bad as I thought because the quality of the joint never changed and the points program is wonderful. I'm still milking the points, have stayed more free nights in New York than I can count. I would Marriott whore on the road - so I'm platinum (still) with HI and the level below that with Marriott for the rest of this year.

9. That column really blew goats.

10. hankschu

hankschu Member

C'mon guys. It was funny.

And let me tell you, before Marriott opened a couple of properties in downtown Milwaukee, a lot of writers I know stayed in Racine to cover the Brewers.

Marriott Whoring can be very rewarding. Ask my wife, who got to stay with me for eight nights at the Grand Hotel Flora in Rome last year for nothing ($2,500 value.)

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

That column read like he spent about 20 minutes on it.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is true. Although, if a college town is that small you're probably not flying in and out of there, right?

So stay by the airport in the nearest big city.

An example: Lawrence only has the SpringHill Suites. If it is booked, I always stay at the airport Marriott in Kansas City. Gotta fly out the morning after the game anyway, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted