1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miles from a point.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Mar 29, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. I dunno, I'd say the whole Marriott points thing is spot on.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Heard a reporter from the Startlegram chastising fellow Texas scribes for being "Marriott whores" a couple weeks back.
    It was true, as is Rosenberg's comments. Too many reporters are more concerned about the Marriotts than what they're actually supposed to be working on.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I liked living 20 minutes away from the venue.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm more of a Hilton whore, though I will almost always trade convenience for points.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That column actually made me chuckle, because it's true. And so what if it is?

This, to me, is b.s. Yes, most of us like to stay in Marriotts (or Hiltons, or Westins or whatever), but I've never seen someone so engrossed in it that it affected their job. That is just asinine.

What's more, I'll defend Marriott whores to the death. I'm on the road more than 100 days a year, away from my wife, away from my (soon-to-be) kids. I miss birthdays and weekends and anniversaries. This year, I was on the road for Valentine's Day. When my wife had to go to Colorado while her mom was having surgery, I couldn't go.

Why shouldn't I get a little something for my trouble? Or, for hers?

The other thing is, brand loyalty (with hotels, airlines and rental cars) just equals convenience. I can re-arrange my flights free of charge, organize a late check-out time to accommodate the new flight and have a rental car waiting for me on the ground at Hertz. When you travel as much as I do, that kind of flexibility is a necessity.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of sportswriters writing about sportswriters--I doubt the readers really care, nor do they get the inside joke--but this was silly and entertaining without being whiny and self-indulgent. No big deal.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Reporters depending on brand loyalty and "getting a little something for your trouble" is one thing.
    Reporters who scheme their way out of covering an event because there isn't a Marriott nearby (and thus not worth their time) is another. I've seen it happen w/ multiple writers.

And I agree w/ 21 on this one: Writing about other sports writers isn't going to equate to squat w/ readers 99 percent of the time.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Marriott has a rewards program???

10. cathack

cathack New Member

I laughed, especially since I'm switching hotels tomorrow just to get Marriott points.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

OK, that's funny.

About the only thing I remember about the 2002 Winter Olympics is that I got points for the 25 nights I spent at a Fairfield Inn in Salt Lake City. Usually at the Olympics, I've had to stay in some shitty future public housing or something. But points! For more than a three-week stay! Now that I'm remembering how great this was, I feel bad about voting for Obama instead of Mitt Romney.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sure, my heart aches with pain akin to a lost love when I type the city in the Marriott search engine and find the nearest hotel with vacancy is 87.2 miles away. But I can't imagine mailing in the story or weaseling out of it altogether. Jeez.

Draft saved Draft deleted