1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 19, 2008.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I put nearly 25,000 miles on my car in the last year for work...and received $2,100 in milage (a monthly check).

Yup...11 cents a mile.

Where's that tax long form sheet?

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

About two months ago we got a boost from .28 to .34. Fortunately our newsroom superiors go to bat for us concerning mileage, periodically checking with the corporate mothership to see if they can get us even a tiny boost.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I used to write off the difference, but, yeah, it's tricky. As I understand it, you have to itemize, so that you can claim "unreimbursed work expenses." Then, you can only actually write off those unreimbursed work expenses that exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income. So, if you make $30,000, and you have $650 in unreimbursed work expenses, you only get a $50 deduction.

The key is padding those unreimbursed work expenses as much as possible. Union dues, job-seeking expenses, professional memberships all count. I used to write off my subscription to the New York Times, b/c I used their website at work (this was when TimesSelect was going), and, when I was looking for a job, I'd write off the 400 miles to go visit my folks for the weekend if I could finagle a cup of coffee at a local paper or something. Wound up knocking like $1,500 off my AGI one year. So I guess that saved me a few hundred in taxes.

Long story short, if they're telling you you can just write off the mileage they don't pay you, tell them that's horseshit. It's a little more complicated than that.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I want to sympathize. I really do.

But as a desk person who happens to live 21 miles from the office, I put almost 10,000 miles on my car every year "for work" . . . and get $0.

5. Apate

Apate New Member

I drive 80 miles round trip to work, and my job pays 41 cents a mile. Guess how much of my commute is covered? Zero. Welcome to the club :)

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

We were at .25, when it hit 3 bucks a gallon we got bumped to .28 and when it hit 4 we got .33. A whooping 5 cents for a dollar jump in gas.

7. Tenhut

Tenhut New Member

It is nice, if not surprising, to see at least a few shops upping mileage. But I wonder how many in the last year have done so.

8. Apate

Apate New Member

My shop ups mileage because we're union. It's in the contract (smart negotiators a few years ago). Good luck elsewhere. A couple of papers ago, they paid 22 cents a mile, and only reluctantly went up to 25, then back to 22 when gas went up and down. This was when gas was breaking $2.50 a gallon.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

My shop has upped the mileage rate every month or two for the past year. We're at .39 right now, which I guess isn't too terrible. But I have a bunch of long road trips ahead of me this fall and I will be writing off the difference.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I drive about 50 miles round trip nearly each day...I didn't include that in those 25,000 miles for work...I put 37,000 miles on my car this past year total. That make more sense desk-jockey?

Like I would bitch about where I live and try to make my shop pay for it.

11. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

We just went up to 58.5 per mile

12. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

My paper's publisher always is sure to point out we can write off the difference for our mileage. We get 20 cents per mile, and I think I put about 10,000 miles per year on my car going to games. I do write off the rest of it, and I've never really figured out the difference, but I doubt it makes a $20 difference on my taxes. And as some were saying before, if you do not have enough deductions to itemize, you take the standard deduction and get do additional government benefit. Basically, the only way to get more for your mileage is if your employer actually will pay it.

Draft saved Draft deleted