1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 19, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Eh, they're all married. Pretty much the same thing.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

FYI, you can also claim the difference on your taxes. ie. if your paper pays 30 cents/mile you can claim the 28.5 cent/mile difference on your taxes.

I'm in agreement with those who say you don't leave the office if they aren't paying mileage, what a fucking joke!

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Deseret News.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They want you to cover games over the phone?
    Someone needs to remind these people of the old newspaper axiom -- there's no news in the newsroom.

5. accguy

accguy Member

There are many Guild papers that pay the IRS rate.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

In the last two months, we've had four guys buy scooters (mine arrives next week) because we basically got told to fuck off when the entire newsroom signed a letter requesting an increase for the first time in about eight years.

If my math is right, the scooter should pay for itself (gas usage vs. mileage in my truck) in less than a year, and that's if gas stays at it's current price. The 150cc scooters are getting about 90-95 miles/gallon. One guy has a 250, and he's getting 80.

I've been filing the difference in what we get (30) and the IRS rate for the last three years.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Our paper had mirrored the IRS rate pretty faithfully up until about a year ago ...

8. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

Holding steady at 25 cents per gallon since what seems like 1980.

9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Can someone clarify what you mean by claim the differences? My shop pays $0.23/mile. That's a $0.35 difference. I'm new to filing taxes (next April will be my first year doing it :() so I'm not sure what exactly claiming the difference means. Do you claim that you're paid $0.58/mile and get a bigger tax break or something?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If you itemize on your taxes, you can claim the difference.

So, if you drove 1,000 miles for your paper last year and they paid you at .23 cents per mile, they gave you: $230.

The IRS approves $580, so you can write off the difference, which is $350.

The only thing is, and someone else can clarify this more, but I don't think you want to itemize unless you hit a certain amount of money. So, if you are single, I'd ask a tax expert about whether or not you should itemize.

11. my paper just went to 47 cents a mile, up from 39. good because the division I school I cover is 80 miles away each way.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn. They should just move you there. How many times a week to you go to campus?

Draft saved Draft deleted