1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage re-embursement

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, May 11, 2008.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Just curious how much folks out there are reembursed for using your own vehicle on the job (i.e. drive to cover games and what not). And wondering if anyone's rate is going up with the gas prices.

A few years ago it was 0.31 for us, then 0.29 and now 0.27 -- we're going in the wrong direction ... and it's getting mighty expensive to fill up the ol' Toyota...

Is there a gas price that would make you say, "I'm not traveling more than few miles to cover stuff until my reembursement rate goes up?"

Thoughts?

2. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55540/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55477/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42154/

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This reminds me.

My mileage check is still sitting in my briefcase waiting to be cashed. :-\

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Doug can do much more than hit .234 over a seven-year baseball career.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When last seen at a newspaper in 2005, I had been getting 22 cents a mile for 6 months after several years of 20 cents a mile.

I believe the IRS will let you claim the difference between your paper's rate and the federal limit as a tax deduction.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anything more than about 49 cen
    They do, but you have to closely document your mileage, which is an unbelievable PITFA.

7. times38

times38 Member

Media General actually went up from 37 to 41 this year, but then drastically cut down on travel, at least here at my shop.

8. I raise this point at every single editors meeting: Sir, we're getting .26 cents a mile and the cost of gas is threatening to ruin mankind as we know it. His response: Yeah but we're on the high end of the MNG scale and the publisher says we should be proud of that. Um, really, we should be proud? I'm not proud, sir. I'm disgusted, in fact. I hate that answer and I hated it last week. My car is shuddering, shaking, and I should be proud? Give me .40 cents a mile and I'll be proud you sandbagging son of a *****.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's reimbursement, ain't it?

Carry on, troupers.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He did a pretty good job pitching the ninth inning of 10-run blowouts.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I ran into a similar thread on another board recently, and someone made the point that you can't claim the difference on your taxes if the expense doesn't exceed a certain percent (2.5?) of your adjusted income. If that's accurate, someone with an adjusted income of $25K who's only getting 25 cents a mile would only have to drive around 2,500 miles a year (roughly 50 miles a week) on company business to reach the threshold.

As an aside, that discussion devolved into a whole new debate because someone pointed out that you could in theory just waive reimbursement from your company and claim the whole 50-something cents/mile on your taxes if you feel as though you won't quite drive enough miles to qualify under the above formula.

Just keep in mind that your scumbag company ends up saving a bunch of money if you elect to play it that way, so I would have to come over to your neck of the woods and personally kick your ass for doing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted