1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage Rates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, May 29, 2007.

1. ogre

ogre Member

When I worked in Indiana in 2003 the rate was 28 cents (up from 22 cents in 2000). When I worked in SoCal in 2006, the rate was 26 cents. Whaaaaaaaaaa?

Now that I got a day job that's not in journo world, I have company car and they reimburse for all gas cost. But I hate my day job.

As far as itemizing on your taxes go, you have to figure out if the difference between what the IRS allows you to deduct and what you get from your company is going to be more than the standard deduction. Hasnt been worth it for me yet.

And, Ive always counted mileage to and from the shop, no matter where I actually started the trip. That isnt me being sneaky, it's what my SEs have told me to do.

2. andykent

andykent Member

Then your SEs need a refresher. It's really simple -- count your mileage from your departure point to the destination and back to your final destination. If you're going straight from your house to the game, then your mileage is from your house to the stadium/arena and back. If you went from your house to the office first, then it's from the office to the stadium/arena since your daily commute from home to the office cannot be claimed. And if you go from your house to a game, and then from the game back to the office to file, it's your mileage from your house to the stadium/arena and then from the stadium/arena back to the office.

3. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

.25, up from .22 from just before I got here almost two years ago. And I get to drive almost two hours tomorrow with gas $3.17 a gallon.

4. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

At my internship last semester, 48 cents a mile. As an unpaid intern, that was the only money I got. Not much, but it paid for a few rounds...

5. I need a round. I'm buying. Who is in?

6. Eddie_Vedder

Eddie_Vedder Member

Well if you're buyin' I'm in. Make mine a Leinie's.

7. I've always wondered: Don't companies write-off these type of expenses?
    So why can't they just pay you the Federal mileage rate?

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Those charming folks at CNHI are at it again. This week a memo was sent to every newspaper in our division that all mileage must be reduced by 10 percent in the editoral department and 5 percent in the ad department. Effective until the end of the fiscal year. Also, the same memo informed us, "No more overtime will be allowed to be claimed." [blue]Damn, you've gotta love those guys.[/blue]

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Our ME called a newsroom meeting recently to announce the fantastic news that our mileage was going from .29 to .31. The response was a bit underwhelming.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

What was his reaction to that?

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

At my last paper, every time we had a staff meeting, we asked when the mileage rate would go up. After a while the ME (one of the biggest assheads of our lifetime BTW) just started annoucing at the beginning of the meetings the mileage rate wasn't going up.

We asked at the end of the meeting anyway. Good times.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The rate at my former employer was, and still is I'm told, 24 cents/mile up to 300 miles, and 23 cents thereafter. This rate is the same as it was 11 years ago - the 1996 letter announcing that increase is framed and mounted on the wall in the photographer's office.

This said employer was also known to take your car keys and check your odometer.

Draft saved Draft deleted