1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage Rates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, May 29, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

48.5 cents ... for now.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Try living up here in Canuckistan. The max a person can claim is something like $0.35 per kilometre, but the gov't pays its employees/members of parliment $0.40 per km!

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

28 cents. It's also based on a formula, was 24 cents this time last year.

4. WSKY

WSKY Member

26 cents. It just went up from 24 not too long ago.

5. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

My shop is at .29 right now and can fluctuate to as low as .26.

The accounting dept likes to screw with us b/c we have to add up how much we owe and they never tell us when they drop it again leaving some confused looks on our faces when our mileage check is ten bucks less than we thought it would be.

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Fuel is $3.20 per gallon here now. Whoever is getting $0.20 per mile, at our fuel prices, needs to get 16 miles per gallon just to break even. That really sucks.

We get $0.31.

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Anytime I go somewhere to work for the paper, the milage to-and-from that destination from the office is put on the sheet.

8. North61

North61 Member

One peanut per mile. Then, once you fill the mason jar full of peanuts, you can either eat them or trade it in for a crispy $5 bill.

9. No employer has ever explained it this way to me. By what you say, all of my different employers have been paying people wrong the past 20 years of my career. Amazing how you can say you leave your house to cover an event then go home and you are not supposed to get mileage for that. What if my commute is to MajorMetro 65 miles away ... I guess that's just my commute though by your logic.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Just stop by the office on your way to whatever you cover. Problem solved. Or at least claim on your mileage that you did. I know at my place the mileage is supposed to be calculated from our office to whereever we go. Even if we just go to the event straight from home.

11. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

.345 in NorCal where gas is hovering around 3.35 per gallon.

I just blew $500 on new tires the other day. I think when it all adds up, gas, rubber, roughly three oil changes a year, insurance and car payment, the paper is making money off the deal -- seing as how having a car is a job requirement. And I can't take my motorcylce to cover things anymore, HR shit its collective panties when it heard I was doing that.

I deduct my miles and any work expense I can think of, though. It's easy if you use TurboTax.

12. Why won't they let you use your motorcycle if you want to? They afraid you will have a wreck?

Draft saved Draft deleted