1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage Rates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, May 29, 2007.

1. Taylee

Taylee Member

$.40; it went up from $.35 about nine months ago.

2. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

27 cents a mile. However, last summer when gas went up depending on how many miles you drove you would get an extra $10-25 in your mileage check.

I believe if you get less than 44 cents, you can get money back on your tax return.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

28 cents. I bet it hasn't moved in a decade.

4. 27 cents. Went up 3 cents about two years ago when gas hit about $2.50.

It's, of course, over $3 now and hasn't changed.

State rate in Texas is 45 cents/mile.

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

40 cents.

On a side note, the IRS allows you to deduct 48.5 cents per mile for business miles driven as of 1-1-07.

6. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

$0.41 CAN per mile - or $0.26 CAN per kilometre.

If my math is correct.

However when I worked for the federal government about five years ago it was
    $0.73 CAN per mile - or $0.46 CAN per kilometre.

Not sure what the government rate is currently

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I believe the Canadian government rate is $0.43 per kilometre, but it could have increased due to gas prices in the past couple years. Our paper is $0.27 per kilometre, so we're pretty close to you Pappy.

8. Those are some pretty sorry people to be working for. That's not cheap. That's insulting.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

39.9 cents this month. I thought we might finally top the 40-cent barrier but nope.

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Do you have to itemize your taxes to take advantage of this?

Also, I get $0.20 a mile and am made to feel grateful I get so much. It was $0.37 at the last job I was at.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sounds extremely familiar. Gas goes up 30 cents, rate goes up .5 of a cent... and that's optimistic. But as soon as gas goes back down to the 2.50 range... mileage will drop 5 cents. It's the "formula" you see. Question the "formula" at your own risk.

It's all a load of shit. All of it. Every shop, no matter the size, should pay at least 35 cents, if not 40. My mom has worked at KMart for some time, and unfortunatley, that place has more holes than the Titanic at the moment. Yet it still pays upwards of 42 cents.

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

Just starting at my place next week and it's .25 per. At the last paper it was .23 and new ownership made sure to keep that.

Draft saved Draft deleted