1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MiLB trip through the Carolinas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 6, 2009.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Crawdads are still around. Nice park, and worth a trip off I-40 if they're in town.

Kannapolis has the Intimidators, but the Fieldcrest-Cannon Stadium is pedestrian. Nothing bad, just not that great. You can get SunDrop and Cheerwine at the concession stands though (and I think Thursdays is $1 beer night), so in that respect, it's nice. Just don't go for a day game. No shade.

2. expendable

Correct. Asheville is Sally. Should've said Carolina League-style.

Oh, and with Winston-Salem. The team didn't secure alcohol permits, because it was supposed to only play at Ernie Shore for a few weeks. That's a definite no-no in my book, with the new Greensboro park down the road.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks, agate; didn't know that. Last time I was in Wilmington was summer 01.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nah. Not going to take the baby on this one. She's still a little too young for that kind of trip. It'd be a nightmare trying to manage an 18-month old through four ballgames in four days.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

True story: When the Intimidators moved to Kannapolis, they were trying to decide on a nickname. A friend of mine, working in the area at the time, suggested "The Toothless Hicks" because then they could have a fan contest every night, give a prize to the attendee who looked the most like the costumed mascot.
    Postscript for the easily offended: as a native, he had the right to kid, knowing they were ultimately his people (and mine, as well).

6. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I figured. I was going to be more impressed with you than I am already, if you tried to pull that off.

7. expendable

As somebody who grew up in Concord, I can say that fits Kannapolis very well.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The new Durham ballpark is a smaller version of the Camden Yards model of major league parks. The old DAP was a dump but an historic dump.
    Kinston was old and worn out last time I was there, which was 1993. Has it been upgraded?
    Charlotte still play just below the South Carolina line?

I spent a weekend in Zebulon once, doing a story on a minor leaguer in the White Sox system. Michael Jordan.

I have been to the park in Greenville and it is pretty neat. I'd maybe look at an SC trip rather than NC.

9. expendable

I believe Grainger has been renovated within the last 10 years. I can't imagine a market that small would be able to keep high-A baseball without renovation.

10. three_bags_full

That's an idea, Moddy. I checked, and the schedules line up for a Saturday night in Charleston and Sunday in Savannah.

Neither of us have been to either of those towns. Well, I've flown through Charleston about a million times enroute to Europe and Afghanistan. Other than that, I've never seen the town.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you have your answer. Two great towns.

12. three_bags_full

Another bonus: Cheap military lodging in both places! :)

Mrs. t_b_f informed me immediately that we'd been through the mountains and were, in fact, moving to Tennessee in about three months. We'll be close enough to make Asheville a weekend trip sometime.

Zebula
    Durham
    Charleston
    Savannah

Draft saved Draft deleted