1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MiLB trip through the Carolinas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 6, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We've only got about a week, but Mrs. t_b_f and I have planned a trip through North Carolina to a few minor league games.

So far on the schedule are:

Raleigh
    Durham
    Charlotte
    Greenville, SC

What's the low-down on these towns?

Any other towns we need to try to hit?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Your wife's cool.

Wilmington would be a nice break from the bigger towns...Dodgers have a team in the Sally there.

3. three_bags_full

I was definitely thinking about Wilmington, but there out of town when we want to go.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

If you're in the Raleigh/Durham area and you've never been to Chapel Hill, check it out (I love college towns). And swing through Duke. It's gorgeous. Definitely eat the bbq pork sammie at the Durham ball park.

5. three_bags_full

That was the plan. Keep the trip legs short enough that we could enjoy the towns for the day, without being rushed.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Don't go to Raleigh. Durham and Chapel Hill are nice.

7. three_bags_full

We could probably stay in Durham, but we do want to see the Mudcats play. They're playing Birmingham the night we want to go, and we both grew up watching Birmingham play.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Go to Kinston. Kinston and Asheville play in the only true remaining Carolina Leauge parks -- that still host MiLB.

9. three_bags_full

Kinston's at Salem that week, and Asheville's probably a little too far away to fit in with the rest of the games.

Finding the right towns at the right time in the right order has been a much taller task than I anticipated.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Abotu 10 years ago, Ms. Slappy and I did something similar over a Memorial Day weekend -- One game in Chattanooga, one game at Tennessee Smokies and one game in Birmingham. Three days, three different parks, six different teams.
    Caught a foul ball in Chattanooga, won a pizza and a Friends of the Smokies vest in Kodak... way a good trip...
    Enjoy TBF, enjoy

11. Greenville's got a brand new stadium with a mini-monster in left field. Haven't been there yet, but it looks damn nice from what I have seen.

I also suggest Charleston, SC. Stadium's right on the river. Beautiful. It's also run or was run by Bill Murray and the son of Bill Veeck, so it's always entertaining. They had a "Pope on the Rope" night last year.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I was kind of hoping you were gonna say you were going to a Savannah Sand Gnats game. I was gonna buy you an overpriced beer. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted