1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Wise won't say "Redskins"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 13, 2006.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I see no evidence that his writing is stilted. I read a column on Clinton Portis and it read fine, and he didn't do it by writing "Washington' over and over again. It's possible, if you're a deft enough writer, to avoid the team nickname without making the reader stop. But if it ever did affect the quality of the prose, then I would agree he should use Redskins.

And no, this wouldn't work as a department-wide policy, for the reasons you pointed out. But an individual columnist can certainly make it clear to the reader that he's writing about the Redskins without ever using their nickname.

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Well, we're arguing about it because a reader wrote in complaining...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mike's a good guy and has always struck me as being principled, even when he's worked in a cut throat environment. I respect the fact that he's taking a stand. Not sure how much effect it will have, but how many others are taking a stand of any sort? And before someone says it, no need to thank him for checking in. If that is indeed me in the sig photo, it should be obvious that I am not him.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, no, no. You can't draw the parallel between "redskins" and the N word. No. Sorry. No.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Why is that, Shottie?

If you use it to describe somebody outside of the NFL team -- if you go to a reservation and start referring to the people living there as redskins to their faces -- are you saying it won't be considered a pejorative?

You're kidding yourself.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Mike Wise's next column: he goes to McDonald's and orders FREEDOM fries!

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, if you don't think it's fair to compare it to the N-word (and I don't think it's equal, but there is certainly a similarity) then how about this:
    Imagine a team calling itself the Washington Darkies, and having a proud African warrior in their logo. That's roughly the equivalent of the Redskins' situation. No team would dream of doing that today. The only difference is that the Redskins were named when it was more acceptable to throw around that kind of term, and now it's been around so long that people don't often think about what the term is really saying.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Dave Burgin and Robert Lipsyte once wrote columns about this in the 1980s or 1990s. The one I read was Lipsyte quoting Burgin, so I forget which one wrote this example: team called the New York Jews, and every time the team scores, crowd chants, "Such a deal!"

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dear Mr. Wise:

Before you call that outfit "full Hollywood regalia," you may wish to do some actual research. If you do, you may discover that the Seminole Tribe of Florida actually designed that outfit and the "full Hollywood regalia" is actually designed and handstitched by members of the Seminole Tribe on the reservation in southern Florida and has been since the start in 1978 --- then-Chief Howard Tommie not only personally approved the concept, but also had members of the tribe design and sew the first uniform. The silver necklace worn by the student portraying the Osceola character was also made on the reservation. Its attached charms are Spanish coins collected by the Seminole Indians. (The Seminole people have quite a few of those. The Spanish ... well, typically they found themselves no longer requiring money.) The information in this link may conflict with your image of Native Americans as near-naked savages. Not my problem.

As Jim Shore, the tribe's legal counsel and also a member of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, noted a year ago in an interview with the Tampa Tribune, "An (actual) Seminole warrior of the 1800s couldn't be depicted in modern time. But this character has a great resemblance to what he should be. It's modernized, not theatrical. The school has checked with us, over and over again. And we have no objections to how he's portrayed. It's always respectful."

Sincerely,
    2muchcoffeeman

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

How dare you bring facts and quotes into this argument? We're all about opinions here. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted