1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Wise won't say "Redskins"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 13, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

But what if he's doing a story about the training camp menu and they're serving Redskin potatos? What's he going to do then? The team is serving the team potatos?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's a basic detail, the team name. I don't see why it's even a question that he should use it. And his readers call them the Redskins, not "the team" or "the franchise." But he's a big-name columnist, so I guess we give him a pass on putting himself above the readers.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

he's a columnist. he can have an opinion and follow through with it

good for him for having the balls to do it

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Royko hated Daley, but at least used his name. This is no noble stand, but the equivalent of putting the hands over the ears and going "nah-nah-nah-nah" constantly.

A real stand would be not writing about the Redskins, and writing an op-ed piece saying why he won't

5. Joe Xanax

Joe Xanax New Member

Wise would do everyone a favor if he stuck with basketball and didn't write about the Redskins. The man knows his hoops, but his football columns are generally blah -- just not interesting at all.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

First of all, he's right, the team shouldn't be called the Redskins. Secondly, as long as it doesn't negatively affect his prose, which it hasn't, as far as I can tell from my occasional reading of the Post, there's nothing wrong with this form of protest from a columnist. Good for Wise for taking a stand.

7. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Member

How is this taking a stand against anything?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No analogy here....he's refusing to write 'Redskins' because he finds the term offensive, not because he hates the team.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm planning to go all season without using the words "Mike Wise" in one of my columns.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

I think the Oregonian has that policy.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with Wise.

I worked with an excellent columnist once who refused to call the stadium by its proper name. "I'm not going to use his name until I can call it (John Doe) MEMORIAL Stadium," he said. And he didn't.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

Didn't Paul Daugherty do something like that a few years ago when the Bengals were awful? I think he asked the readers if he should keep covering them or just stay home on Sundays -- and they told him to stay home.

Draft saved Draft deleted