1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Wise to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

ErikWemple @ErikWemple
    Inbox: Mike Wise bolts Washington Post for ESPN

Wemple write a blog for the Post and a pretty good one. He was all over the first set of layoffs at The Times during my stint there. We learned a lot about what was going on at our place by reading his blog.

So if he's wrong on this, I'd be shocked. Didn't see anything on Mike's Twitter feed.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe Wise told Wemple to tweet it just to see what kind of shit he could cause.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Post put out an internal memo. So he's not wrong.

4. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Talk about burying the lede! Mike Wise is leaving THE WASHINGTON POST to go work for JASON WHITLOCK'S Black Grantland project.

I was so looking forward to the dialogue this news would spawn and for that to be left out is cruel. Guess Whitlock's site has made a helluva first splash...LOL!

5. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

You guys are no fun! I was waiting for the outpouring of venom from the Whitlock haters here. I know that is just terrible. The black people are more pissed about this hire than you are here. Mike Wise, while a great writer and a definite splash hire, does not seem to fit the targeted audience of Whitlock's site in any way shape or form. Also let's us know that Jason is working with house money on this one because Wise had to be a costly hire. Can't wait to see who is next.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Scoop - I don't mean this to be incendiary as you know from knowing me. I am curious about something. Is/was the expectation that Whitlock's site would showcase the talents of black journalists or was it expected to be a site that covered the issues, challenges, whatever that today's black athletes face? Or a little of both?

Knowing Mike a little from my days in DC, I agree he's a splash and expensive hire. He's also done some good work, if memory serves, handling some race-related issues. I think this is a good get but, again, I don't know what the expectation is for the site.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since their days at the NYT I've always confused Mike Wise and Mike Freeman.
    Both of their styles stood out to me as distinctive and a cut above some of
    the usual NYT bland stuff of that era. Maybe Whitlock will hire Freeman also
    and they can do a Mike and Mike column

8. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Moddy,

Your guess is really as good as mine on this one. All I know is what I've heard. I believe certain people think Jason will have to hire black writers to tackle "black" issues and stories. Seems to make sense to me. I've heard some names of people who have been targeted. If he lands some them it will be as impressive as hiring Mike. Please understand I disagree with some of my contemporaries who believe hiring Wise first was an insult to the mission of Whitlock's site. I think it is a great strategic move. Now I would call it a joke if the Black Grantland doesn't go out and make some splash hires who are Black! Clearly the money and commitment are there.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Touré? Didn't he do some sports at one time? Maybe Whitlock should hire him as young black voice. Even though he's really old he fashions himself as
    young and hip.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

There will be other hires, some of whom are known and others unknown.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Maybe Whitlock could hire Bill Simmons to be the NBA writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted