1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Wise of WaPo fakes story to make a point

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Irony here: Twitterites such as SBJ's John Ourand and Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio now reporting Wise is suspended for one month.
    No, did not check this out myself.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know what the point was.

If you're going to fake something, fake something that looks so false on its surface that people will get the joke.

Like: Nats attended Restoring Honor rally Sunday. Strasburg's shoulder healed by Glenn Beck, will start Thursday.

And then follow it up: Well, that isn't true, but's let see how long it takes to rocket around the webosphere.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow! Sweet! I'm going to retweet that right away - not a fan of Glenn Beck but I love him now!!

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ProFootballTalk reports that at the start of his show today, Wise said the Post has suspended him for a month.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But who'll suspend Florio?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Beck would not have touched his left shoulder.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe he gets to come back at the end of Roethlisberger's 5-game suspension.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Plus, touching Jee-SUS shoulder won't do fuck for good since his elbow is hurt.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You wonder if this was really an experiment.

Fuck up a story? No, I meant to do that!

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good God, what a dumbass.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I saw this last night and withstood the urge to write a "fire him" post. I try not to over-react.
    I was thinking, what a dumbass, maybe a suspension or a serious talking to. I guess they handled it.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The only thing Wise proved is that all the readers who don't trust us and think we intentionally make things up apparently are right.

Thanks, Wise, for doing nothing to dispel that idea.

He's lucky to have only been suspended. If I'd been that guy's boss, he'd have been fired on the spot. It's another case of a well-known guy doing something because he could, just because of who he was, secure in the knowledge that he probably would not be dismissed.

So, of course, he gets to get away with it, and can probably laugh and even sit there going, "See, I was right, wasn't I?," just reveling in his correctness during his time off.

Draft saved Draft deleted