1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Wise and the N word

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 25, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mike Wise is offended by certain words. He doesn't like or use the N word. He doesn't like or use the R word (Redskins). To him, the R word is abhorrent as the N word.

So what does Wise do when he comes to find out the N word is used liberally by a lot of people he knows and respects, like Mike Wilbon?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/a-word-you-shouldnt-use-in-any-sentence/2013/11/21/f0e9fb38-521e-11e3-a7f0-b790929232e1_story.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Where Mike Wise throws a temper tantrum because his view isn't accepted by all.

Look, I think the word is abhorrent, too, but people are allowed dissenting opinions on it. Just because you want to act like your 3-year-old and hold your fingers in your ears doesn't mean your view is the only one that's valid.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Mike Wise is comparing living a few years among nonwhites to centuries of enslavement and systemic discrimination.

One more time: White people don't get a say in what other races are or aren't offended by.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The "water buffalo" campus incident from a few years ago suggests to me that people of good sense, whatever their color, can have an opinion about what is or is not offensive to a reasonable person.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Opine away.

Just don't start writing columns telling people of other races what their opinion should be based on yours, which is based on a completely different life experience.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This is all so much crap. If people can't agree in a civil society that a truly offensive word is best not used, period, and deserving of eradication, then we may as well just give up and stick to stupid-ass tribalism.

It's a word. If you want to keep it alive because it's fun and allows you in your (fill in demographic group) to bond, don't be surprised or offended if it pops up in other places where you might not like it. We're all not walking around with cheat cards in our pockets to know who can say what to whom. Either put it down or accept it being used in non-sanctioned, no-hologram-to-verify ways.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mike Wise (like anyone) has a right to his opinion. But who the hell is he to get on some moral soapbox and tell anyone else what words they should or should not use?

If there was universal agreement on this, then such words wouldn't be used and the discussion wouldn't be taking place. The reason we have these discussions is because there isn't universal agreement on what is and is not "acceptable".

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wise getting on his soapbox and telling others what words they should or should not use is his way of expressing his opinion.

Disagree with that all you want, as a couple here have.

There often are zero-tolerance takes on issues, from multiple sides. Those espousing them don't have to mitigate their positions by breathing life into the opposition.

If I think the KKK should be abolished, I'm not obliged to concede that a bunch of Klansmen may claim that a burning cross is their version of a "kumbiya" campfire. Swap out the skin color of those involved and the N-word for the cross, and that's about where we're at here.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, if you don't want to use a certain word or phrase, then don't use it. Simple enough, eh? I get a chuckle out of the things different people get offended by these days. Maybe it's a generational thing. My generation heard and used all sorts of terms. Didn't always like it, but didn't cry about it, either. Guess it gave us tougher skin. To each his own.

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Exactly. This isn't complicated. If you're white, don't use the word. I don't use it, and I find it easy to avoid faux outrage when black people do use it. I equate a white person using that word to a man hitting a woman. You just don't do it. Why? Because. Accept it, and move on.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the phrase "mother fucker" should be added to the lexicon of words that
    is acceptable to be used by civilized society.

Draft saved Draft deleted