1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Wilbon bids farewell to the Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NickMordo, Dec 7, 2010.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Got into Wilbon way back when he started appearing on "The Sports Reporters", when Dick Schaap was still alive.
    Started reading his columns as a result and fell in love.

Several years ago, I had to good fortune to "run into" Wilbon, who had chosen an outdoor location to relieve himself at the ACC Tournament.

I awkwardly introduced myself (we didn't shake hands at his insistence for obvious reasons), but the guy couldn't have been nicer to me.

Print journalism loses another great one.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Now in pixel form:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon/101208

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There of course has to be a Jordan-Kobe argument, which is required by law anytime anyone writes about Kobe Bryant.

That's absurd, not to mention false. Not one thing? How about 3-point shooting? Jordan had five seasons where he shot above 30 percent on 3s and two of those - 96 and 97 - were when the NBA brought the 3-point line in. Kobe's had 13 seasons above 30 percent, only one being with the shorter line.

And after again watching Kobe put on a clinic in the post last night, which he's been doing for years and years, even though some people think it's a skill he picked up in the last two or three seasons, it's okay to suggest he's Jordan's equal - and possibly superior - in the post.

Jordan's the better player. Okay. Agreed. But Wilbon has said that particular line several times, about how no one does a single thing better than Jordan. For pure scoring, Kobe is more explosive than Jordan was. In other words, when both are at their offensive peaks, he's more dynamic than even Jordan - 62 in 3 quarters, outscoring Dallas; 56 in 3 quarters against Memphis, nearly outscoring the Grizzlies; 81 points; NBA record 12 3s against Seattle, including an absurd 9 in a row; the other 60-point games; scoring 40 in 19 minutes against Jordan and the Wizards, etc., etc.

I love Wilbon, but he's a Chicago guy, which still blinds him somewhat when it comes to MJ. There were other players who did some things better than Saint Michael.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Evil, if all you want are facts and stories without opinion, you certainly came to the right place.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Wilbon wrote in his first ESPN.com piece and reiterated Wednesday on WMVP-AM (the ESPN Radio station in Chicago) that most of his columns will run on the ESPNChicago.com web site, and be (his words, not mine) "big picture" takes on the Bulls, Bears, etc.

My question is, will be in Chicago doing this, or be in Washington? If it's the latter, will he fly to Chicago occasionally, or just catch a team when it visits the Beltway. Without regular contact with those he covers, he'll be the second coming of Bill Simmons. At least Jay Mariotti made it all the way to the press box.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Kathy Sue Loudermilk is very appreciative, and in agreement.

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God. Amen, my grits-eatin' brotha. Unfortunately never met him, but reading Lewis is the reason I joined this biz. One of my favorite Grizzard stories -- and I've had some at AJC say it was true, others not -- was his column after Tech beat his Dawgs.
    "I don't even want to talk about it."
    And then 18 inches of white space.
    If that actually ran, and anybody can find a copy of it, please direct me. I will proudly hang that on the wall. It it's just another one of his great stories, don't spoil it for me.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So you're not interested in what any other human has to say about any subject?

9. VJ

VJ Member

It's a pretty sad reflection on DC that the best things it had when it came to sports were Wilbon and Kornheiser writing columns and now it doesn't even have that anymore.

10. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I expected the typical "goodbye column" tripe, but Wilbon did an excellent job there. Struck just the right note of sincerity.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

He did a show when I was in college.

I flat-out lied to the security guard, said I had a scheduled interview with him after the show and was let into his "green room." Grizzard laughed when I told him I'd lied my way in and let me and my date stay to visit for a few minutes.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Great read, wished he would've linked more of his older stuff though.

Draft saved Draft deleted