1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Vaccaro Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 10, 2007.

1. badband

badband Member

Mike Vaccaro is what newspapering is all about. Great writer, tireless worker, and the most humble guy you could meet in a press box. In their search for a real-person role model in this business, not a cartoon character, Lupica's children should devour Vac's work the way Vac devoured Lupica's.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was actually referring to your dig at Casty, among others.

Maybe you're just not expressing yourself very well.

And yes, Chris, I think the Borges business was a turning point.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Holy shit is this rich. You're chastising a guy with a blog/website that he does in his spare time (and does a good enough job to have a nice following) about his integrity and standards in THOSE terms? But you're the guy on an industry message board posting your endless drivel using someone else's real name.

Anyone else see the humor in this?

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Whether he makes money or not, whether it's a hobby, is irrelevant. It is considered commercial use even if a charity does it, even if your church bulletin, edited by nuns, puts it together. From AP:

Can I use a photo on my Web site?
    Not without permission from the paper. This is considered commercial use. Contact Customer Service to inquire about commercial use of a photograph.

What is commercial use of a photograph? How is it different from "personal" use?
    Commercial use is any use that brings value to the person or organization displaying the photograph to the public. Commercial usage includes publication in newsletters, brochures, flyers, photocopied handouts and any Web site or e-mail distribution. Commercial usage also applies to non-profit organizations, academic institutions or individuals who use a photograph in this manner.

Personal use means that you are buying the image for your own personal enjoyment and it will not be reproduced, sold, published, distributed, or utilized in any other manner.

Thebiglead's explanation was that he was too small to be sued, not that it wasn't illegal.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you've ripped off a classic italian sauce for your name - i'm outraged as are other culinary savants on this board. oddly enough, your posts aren't very tasty.

let's get this straight:
    Henry Hecht was the great New York sportswriter of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

henryhecht (no space) was the 16-century croatian composer.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i defended borges on a strongly-held principle. i never resorted to ad hominem attacks, and kept my argument on the issue, despite being savagely ridiculed.

Borges was being pilloried as though he were the adultress in the Scarlet Letter. plagiarism simply is not as black and white as you would have it. I have no regrets about defending him.

why the heck was it so offensive to you, SF?

and by the way, sportswriters are maudlin and sports sections overflow with maudlin writing - readers seem to like it. nothing intended about castellano in particular - i never read him.

7. You and Borges are like two peas in a pod

You are what Homer Simpson would call a "jerkface"

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is the funniest bullshit answer yet, one that you provided on another thread, and one that you couldn't come up with an answer to my follow-up (since you're big on follow-ups)...

Name one of henryhecht's pieces of music, if you admire him so much that you named yourself after him. No Googling. No wikipedia. What moved you so about a Croatian composer that you wanted to pick him for your SportsJournalists.com screen name? Because your answer has changed. It used to be a tribute to the writer, HH, and now it's a tribute to a composer who no one has heard of and you can't name a piece of his work. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

exactly - I still contend its the real Henry Hect. He carries himself with that same shall we say air.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

just a sample:
    Croatia the Beautiful:

Lijepa nasa domovino, Oj junacka zemljo mila, Stare slave djedovino, da bi vazda sretna bila! ...

11. JerseyBurning

JerseyBurning New Member

getting back on the subject ...

I had the pleasure to work with vaccaro and he was a joy. Endlessly helpful. The best word I can think of for him is sincere. He tries his best each time out — which is considerable considering his talent — and he tries his best to help his coworkers. No egomanical bullshit. A gracious, talented man.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

amen, on all counts.

Draft saved Draft deleted