1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Vaccaro Interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Apr 10, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Well done, TBL. The Lupica barbs will sting because they're so honest.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I ask this as a serious question: At some point, does Lupica ever respond to this stuff? I mean, if he's truly as thin-skinned as everyone says he is, when does finally flip out and do some interview where he unloads on the Whitlocks and Vaccaros and others who we feel have undressed him (or in Jason's words "Put a clown suit on him") publicly like this?

That said, another interesting, insightful interview. A few more requests for my TheBigLead dream wish list:

Selena Roberts
    Sally Jenkins
    Charlie Pierce
    Mike Wilbon
    Peter Richmond

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Vacarro saying that "You're sportswriters, you're not the secretary of state" when it comes to the arrogance and egos of those in this business was hilarious. I hope some of you look at that and realize that he's talking about you.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Publicly? Publicly? An interview with a blog so tiny that it admittedly stole copyright photos because it felt it was too small to be sued? What publicly? How many of Lupica's readers do you think witnessed this "undressing?"

Vaccaro's entitled to his opinion and he made a valid point about extra work diluting the sports column -- but the same could be said of a lot of people, and even before sports writers began stretching themselves thin as multimedia stars, it was the exception rather than the rule for sports columnists to maintain consistent excellence decade after decade.

And I'll state once more that as a former coworker of Lupica, I had zero bad experiences with him, nor did I personally witness anything beyond usual editing-process squabbles that occured just as frequently between desk people and preps writers, although of course I have heard the stories. Not saying they didn't happen, just that I never saw it, and for me, that's how I form my opinion about anyone.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Great kill-shot on Phillips the Smarm.

6. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

There were some classic anecdotes in that interview.

I'll add to the chorus. Vac's one of the best, and he's also one of the finest people you will ever, ever meet. There's no way I have half the career I've already been lucky enough to have in this business without his guidance - and I'm not the only one he's helped along the way.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

real nice.
    an e-mail interview.
    which is why there are no follow-up questions.
    and by the way, there's no disclosure that it was done by e-mail.
    the sophomoric blogger can't pick up a phone and do it the right way. afraid it might ruin his snark image.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I don't know enough about The Big Lead to make a comment on their work. But I can comment on Mr. Vaccaro and I agree with most of the opinions here that Mike is among the best sports columnists in the country. I had the pleasure of working with him briefly before he went to The Post and he was one of the nicer guys I met in this business. One quick story will tell you something about him.
    When a very good guy named Joe Calabrese, who covered college sports for The Star-Ledger, unfortunately died at too young an age, Vaccaro wrote the obit in The Ledger and it was so well done and emotional, I was moved to say to Mike when I saw him in the office, "Please Mike, when I die, would you write the obit?"

Hey, I meant it.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

ditto.

10. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

hell, i just hope i have an obit.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

gosh. so maudlin. sportswriters are suckers for maudlin.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

when you're on the back 9, like casty and i, you think about this stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted