1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$$ Mike Trout $$

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Counterpoint: Williams was the guy who believed, and wasn't shy about saying it, he was the greatest hitter, fisherman, and pilot ever. And he wanted people to say it when they saw him walking down the street.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/atomic_dog_chockfull_of_testosterone

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If the Angels pull the same crap they pulled last offseason and only renew Trout at a super-low rate ($500,000 for last season for what he did in his rookie year), it might not matter what they offer him long-term.

But these decade-long deals should go to guys in their 20s instead of Arte getting all goo-goo over Pujols and giving him the ridiculous deal he did.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I am the Angels, I lock him up now to a 12-year....$380 million dollar extension.

NOW.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd take him through his arbitration years at least at $15-18M per year similar to what the Rangers did with Andrus. Then they could address the long-term contract down the road. By that time the Angels may have been able to unload Pujols and Hamilton on some sucker.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Uh, what?

No way in hell does Trout even think about signing for $15-18M a year. He is better off going to arbitration where he might get damn near $25M.

The guy is 22 years old and has had two MVP-caliber seasons.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think he was saying he figures Trout would get 15-18M via arbitration. Sounds like he'd get 20+, though.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If he has a 2014 like he had in 2012 and 2013, he certainly could. I'm just saying the Angels would be smart to head this off.

Trout might take this deal now because he has one more serf year left.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Couple million at least. Of course, he's been dead for a while.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Takes two to tango, though.

I don't see much incentive for Trout to take a Longoria-like deal. He's the best player in the game and he could be the first to finally surpass A-Rod's $33 million a year.

http://sabr.org/research/mlbs-annual-salary-leaders-1874-2012

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Bump.

Because why not. Seems to be the thing to do.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Betts was the MVP in 2016.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong on this thread as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.