1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Tomlin expected to be new Steelers head coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typewriterhill, Jan 20, 2007.

1. No new update from Ed Bouchette.

Mort's reputation isn't the greatest and considering the original story was broken by SI's M.Silver, not ESPN, I'm going to holdoff until I get the alert by the Steelers.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm quite sure it's correct. a) what better way for rooney to put his money where his mouth is? it's called "the rooney rule" for a reason. b) also, as the ultimate league man -- he's the guy who told goodell he was the new commish -- he knows better than to officially break big news during championship game weekend.

rooney might finally confirm tomorrow for the pre-game shows, but no pressers until after the super bowl matchup is set.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Sounds to me like Silver got it right, and Bouchette and Mortensen then went into classic cover your ass mode, saying the story was incorrect. Mort is now "confirming" it on ESPN.com. What he's confirming is that he got beat on the story.

4. jshaffer

jshaffer New Member

check out the pittsburgh trib, they are saying that Grimm has been offered and has accepted, this thing is a train wreck.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"A source in Pittsburgh" confirmed.

No mention of the source after that.

I'll buy it for now, though, since the source's last name probably is Rooney.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Seriously doubt that. Rooneys are beyond old school. They don't leak secrets or play a lot of games with media.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's an educated guess. And Mortensen is now saying the Steelers haven't contacted Tomlin to tell him he's been hired.

Normally I'd bet against the T-R. But not on this one.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's probably been said already, but I just heard on Fox Sports Radio that Grimm's going to be named coach. WTF is going on?

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

My guess is it's Grimm, and the other people jumped the gun and f'd up.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

AP says Rivera could get a second interview Monday, should the Bears lose.

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/steelers-say-coaching-search-not-over/20070120175509990001?cid=1690

11. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I didn't get my scoop from my ESPN Mobile that Mort told me to buy so I don't believe it.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mort has twice given Silver for breaking this story, so he gets some credit for proper credit - though no one seems real sure the story is true.

Draft saved Draft deleted