1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Tomlin expected to be new Steelers head coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typewriterhill, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, some people in NFL circles won't be able to complain that the Rooneys didn't adhere to the Rooney Rule here.

That said, the only concern about Tomlin is pass defense. Was it the players? Was it the system? What went wrong there, because the run defense did its part.

2. If Ed Bouchette of P-G doesn't have the scoop there isn't one.
    There is no way SI is scooping this man in his own backyard.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Mr. Bouchette.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Didn't see them, but I'm sure their run defense ranks first precisely because their pass defense sucks. They had the fewest carries-against in the league, almost 20 fewer carries against than the next. And teams threw the ball almost 600 times against them because they were so craptastic, apparently.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My bad, I was thinking of the Bears defensive coordinator, who was rumored for the job early in the process. Careless mistake on my part.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Or maybe because the run defense was so good, offenses chose to pass against them, like in the Patriots MNF game.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Should've realized that you were thinking of Rivera. As much faith as I have in the Rooneys, I just don't get this. A defensive coordinator whose defensive style just doesn't fit what the Steelers have. And worse, his defense couldn't stop the pass.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Rooneys think Tomlin's pass defense problems were player related and not scheme. You could make that case for the Steelers secondary this season. Don't know if I'd buy it, but you could make the case.

9. Grohl

Grohl Guest

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It would be interesting if the Rooneys did this when they announced one of the finalists this week is Rivera, who could not have been brought in for a second interview until after the Bears season ended. So they interviewed Grimm and Tomlin a second time and they reached the decision without going with their third finalist? Doesn't seem to be how the Rooneys operate.

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I'm sure not going to be the one to second guess the Steelers' brass football knowledge, but don't they know Mike Tomlin is an average middle reliever journeyman, not a pro football coach?

12. Mort is now confirming the story on ESPNews.

Draft saved Draft deleted