1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Tomlin expected to be new Steelers head coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typewriterhill, Jan 20, 2007.

1. SI's Michael Silver is reporting Mike Tomlin will be the next head coach in Pittsburgh.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/20/steelers.coach/index.html

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Tribune-Review - nothing reported at this time.

ESPNews has it posted under their breaking news box but nothing on ESPN.com

KDKA.com has picked up the SI story
    http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_020143355.html

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

A ballsy hire, considering they had two guys from a wildly successful staff seemingly ready to take over.

Considering the Steelers' success with hiring head coaches, you've gotta figure they know what they're doing.

3. I would say Tomlin is more than qualified to be a head coach in the NFL but you know there's going to be talk in Pittsburgh about a black man as the head coach of their "stillers'.

The 'yinzer nation' will be complaing to the high heavens over this hire (if legit) but the man comes highly reccommended by Dungy, Gruden and Childress.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It will be interesting to see what concerns Pittsburgh fans more: The color of his skin, or the fact his pass defense was tied for dead-ass last with the Bengals last year.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I vote the latter. Pass defense was weak with Pittsburgh this season as it was.

6. Pittsburgh's secondary couldn't be any worse than it was last season. Tomlin might be going towards a hybrid 3-4 Cover 2 style and that might mean keeping Lebeau as his D-C.

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

ESPNews just reported Mike Tomlin said the report is untrue.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Anybody heard from Nick Saban on this one?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's else is he going to say the day before the NFC title game?

10. If Tomlin isn't the new coach by Monday or Tuesday, someone should be brushing up their resume. You don't go live reporting a news conference Saturday or Sunday, when most major sports leagues don't want or allow other teams to hold major news announcements on the day of playoff games.

I have a hard time believing the SI report was the work from inside the Steelers organization. The best guess would be one of the candidates leaking the information to Silver and SI. I doubt it was Tomlin, so that leaves Grimm and Rivera.

Grimm could not be reached by the Post-Gazette but his brother said he knew nothing.

Sunday night, I'm sure the news will break with a PC scheduled for Monday late morning. That's just the way NFL business is conducted.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Um, his team isn't in the NFC title game, so what does that have to do with it?

And as far as the racist stuff, I'm so glad you decided that Steeler fans are going to be racists before they even get a chance to react. There are plenty of non-racist reasons Steelers fans might dislike this, including the 30th-ranked pass defense in Minnesota, the fact that his preferred Cover 2 system doesn't fit the Steelers' personnel and that a guy with Pittsburgh ties like Grimm is being passed over.

typewriterhill, sounds to me like you are the one with the black and white problem, not Steelers fans.

12. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted