1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Tirico Show: Does Mike have an opinion on...anything?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Oct 4, 2007.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Alright, I've given this a couple of weeks and, I've gotta say, is ESPN just surrendering those two hours during the day? After Cowherd, who I think is fabulous (although I can understand why some may think he's an irritating jerk), ESPN Radio shifts to a play-by-play host with no opinions on anything of value in sports.

At least Dan Patrick had a few strong stances amid all the name-dropping.

Each day that I do listen, Van Pelt runs full circles around Tirico -- SVP is real, interesting, opinionated and has good stories. He actually sounds like a guy who spent a little bit of his life away from just broadcasting.

Anyone else notice this with the Mike Tirico Show?

2. I've only heard it a couple of times. And I can't remember anything he was talking about.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I love Mike Tirico as a PBP guy, and the times I've met him he has been a genuinely nice person.
    That said, his constantly apologizing for his presence on his debut show was distracting. He should have been excited about finally getting to pop off every day about what might be bugging him in sports.
    But you're absolutely right.
    Nothing apparently bugs him. He will not take a stand.
    Patrick took stands all the time, but they were always illogical, so that didn't help his train-wreck of a show. But this is not the upgrade I'd hoped it would be. Scott V.P. would have been a better choice.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Haven't heard the show, but it's got to be tough to pop off on different subjects for a couple of hours every day, and then have to objectively talk about them on TV later that night. As a pbp guy he's being asked to deliver the facts of the game as they occur, and while he can analyze things on occassion, he's not the color commentator. It's kind of like giving a beat writer a radio show and tell him that sometimes he'll need to talk about the team he covers. Except Tirico covers a whole bunch of people since ESPN moves him around the sports world. I know that's not a perfect analogy, but I think it's close enough to suggest why he's struggling there if he is.

Since SVP just offers up highlights he's got more freedom to go about things how he wants to. Plus he is the more engaging personality in that respect. He may well have been the better choice.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If Tirico didn't have a cohost, it would be a bad show. But with a cohost, I think it's a better show than when Patrick was doing it by himself.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Three ponies and a wombat would put on a better show than Patrick.

7. We know he's in favor of sexual harrassment.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Give it some time. Only been 2 weeks. He'll find his style.
    So far, I like it.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tirico has been hanging around waiting for some Rokski and John VD opinions he can steal and call his own.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

John VD?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I tuned in after it already had begun, knowing it was Tirico's show now and then wondered for a good 15 minutes who the other guy was (who either was a legit contributor better than the host or was some sidekick in the booth overstepping his bounds). Finally heard the nod to SVP, and thought they should make it an official tandem, at least.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

His show makes Dockers ads look edgy. I turn everytime I realize I'm listening. The show is that boring you don't realize its on until the first 20minute sports update.

Draft saved Draft deleted