1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Tirico, Screamin split Dan Patrick's ESPN Radio slot.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 18, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Thank God there are no inept white sportswriters doubling as talking heads, or else your incredibly well-thought-out logic would come crumbling down.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's too early in the morning to tighten up my writing. Plus, self-editing was never a strong point. Layout and budgeting on the other hand...

3. 93Devil

True, but SAS screwing up a basic rule of football really stood out.

Trust me, I think Wilbon, Michael Smith and many of the other minority writers do a great job. SAS is just so obviously bad. I'm actually trying to think who could be worse, but the only person who comes to mind is Rhoden. The Texas guy who does/did Cold Pizza is pretty awful as well, IMO. Skip Bayless. That is his name.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've had the misfortune to hear his show a few times on 1050 in NYC. SAS is bright, he knows his hoops, he can talk smartly about non-sports topics and he can get great guests.

The problem is the know it all, screaming tone of voice. It is beyond annoying even when I am interested in what he's saying. It is even worse when he's talking about sports or topics which are beyond his expertise. The best sports radio hosts make it seem like you are having a conversation with them. Instead, SAS screams at you.

5. 93Devil

Good point.

What hurts all of these guys like SAS and Mort is that there really is only one "insider" who I think gives accurate information on a consistant basis and that is Gammons. It really is tough for all of these guys when you look at how strong Gammons is at his job. Clayton is pretty good as well, and Melrose, possibly.

I cannot think of any others right away.

6. I will never understand how anyone can listen to sportstalk - or just plain talk - radio.

::)

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Already did that here when Patrick bolted from everyday duties.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Everyday I wake up and repeat this mantra with the intensity of a true believer at a Catholic shrine doing the rosary ...

"I love my XM ... I love my XM ... I love my XM."

I've listened to maybe an hour of ESPN radio in the last year.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thank one of the gods you used the blue font, becuase you don't really want to discuss this issue.
    Suffice to say that SAS is a beast, on the air, and not in a good way.

10. healingman

healingman Guest

To sort-of echo this, I love my Sirius. I just got a new gig and am going to see if I can (maybe) afford to get it back. Had to drop it over money issues. Yeah, I know the WL (Worldwide Leader) is on there but I don't have to listen to it.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No no no! SAS isn't horrible! He's tewwible, I tell ya! Tewwible!

Chicago moved up its big sports talk show (Mac, Jurko and Harry) to 3PM Eastern.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I listen to ESPN Radio ON my XM. :p

That said, SAS is always worthy of a quick channel switch.

Draft saved Draft deleted