1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Shula is Out at Alabama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by footballworld, Nov 27, 2006.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly. They would rather sit and watch Horatio Caine slip off his sunglasses and say "Mr. Wolf" for 60 minutes every Monday night.

Hindsight can be 20/20, but Croom wouldn't have impressed the 'Bama fans if he was the coach either.

Both of them were coaches in the NFL, both schools were under probation, and outside of the Delusional Tide fans, who'll never understand that 'Bama is just another SEC school, both coaches hasn't been a splash at both places.

Unless Mal Moore calls Chucky Amato....

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2677391

Someone had to write this today...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nicely done, and very true. If you take the Stallings example near the end, maybe Croom would be the guy to take. I think he'd do a good job of getting people to at least take a trip to T-Town.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Finebaum.com has the presser on live streaming audio.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Live coverage with streaming video also on myfoxal.com.
    Interesting stuff.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So who gets this job? The only names I've heard are Spurrier and Saban, neither of whom will go anywhere near Tuscaloosa... If Spurrier leaves Columbia it will be to go back to a school in Florida and I don't think Saban is walking away from $6 million a year...

7. Johnny Dangerously

They should not hire a coach. They should declare the Bear the coach emeritus and let the program run under the direction of his legend.

I'm only slightly joking when I say that would be a better option than several they've chosen since his retirement and subsequent death. At least they wouldn't be trying to have it both ways -- have a coach and yet still look to the Bear for inspiration.

For Pete's sake, on the day of the 2001 LSU-Alabama game, the Tuscaloosa paper ran a graphic grading the matchups, and in the area of intangibles (for which Alabama got the nod) there was a mention of tradition, and the piece of art that run in that block of the graphic was a photo of Bryant.

Footnote: LSU won, setting a school passing record and throwing for more yards than any other Alabama team had ever allowed.

The Bear is dead, Alabama. You have to reinvent yourself. See Oklahoma after Bud Wilkinson, Notre Dame after Knute Rockne and many other major programs that understand you have to carve out a new place for yourself, not try to hunker down in the old one while most of the rest of the country lives in the present.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Laugh now. When they get the animatronic Bear going, you bitches will KNEEL.

Meanwhile, Saban and Spurrier seem to be the aspirational candidates, followed closely by the Big East Wonder Twins. My guess is that Grobe is the best choice they could actually land. And Croom has been getting exactly zero mention down here.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Bill Oliver (on Finebaum's show) has the Alabama fans fired up because he's not dismissing the Spurrier talk. Says let's see what Spurrier decides.

"Steve's driving the wheel right now."

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Gene Stallings was borderline sensational there. He really got a lot done at Bama after getting past the Fiesta Bowl loss to Louisville early on.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Can you say thrusting the stick in the side of a dead horse to see what else ooze's out (in other words, to screw with the Bama fans)? I think Brother Bill knows his pal Stevie poo ain't leavin' to come to Tuscaloosa.

Oh, and I love the ads that Brother Bill reads. They're great.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stallings did a great job. How long did it take for them to run him off after he won a national title?

Draft saved Draft deleted