1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Shula is Out at Alabama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by footballworld, Nov 27, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Croom deserves a shot there. I have a feeling there are a lot of Tide fans who think they should have hired him last time 'round. I think that will overwhelm the very small minority who would protest a black coach.
    He would do well in Tuscaloosa.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

what has croom done as a head coach to deserve a shot?

shula was a mistake. croom would be another mistake

3. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Funny this happens on the day North Carolina introduces Butch Davis. Supposedly the Alabama job was the one he wanted.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It won't be Croom... The boosters would never agree to it, not only because he's black but because of his lack of success at MSU. Granted, I don't think too many coaches can win at MSU, but still...

This will be a tough job to fill... I never buy it when these ADs say "This is the best job in the country" when they mean to say "This is the most thankless job in the country and unless you win the national title immediately, you'll never be properly appreciated..."

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

Wins over Florida, Ole Miss and Bama with one of the worst talent pools in the SEC is good enough for me.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Seriously. What Alabama fans fail to realize is their football program hasn't been relevant since about 1992 or so. It deserved the death penalty, but avoided it after the NCAA observed the carnage at SMU. Bear Bryant is dead... and has been for years. But you might have a tough time convincing some 'Bama fans of that.

What a shitty mess coaching that team has become. Does anyone really think the incoming coach, whoever it is, will get five years to make the program his own? I sure as hell don't.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The most unrealistic fanbase and good-ol-boy network wins again.

Some thoughts
    1. Bear is still dead. He isn’t coming back.
    2. Your program isn’t what it was. You just came off probation, and again, what was Shula’s record last year? It takes time to get back there.
    3. Who in their right mind would want to go down there and coach now?

I guess y’all will have to sit and watch Saban, Belichik, Spurrier, Vince Lombardi and Jesus Christ all fall over themselves to take the job.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Jesus is holding out until the market is just right. He's thinking two years.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which job is tougher from a beyond-expectations standpoint, Alabama or Miami?

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

alabama -- isn't even close

at least in miami you won't have to worry about there being anyone in the stands

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

Bama -- no question.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Alabama has a century of tradition, Miami a generation.

Alabama has tons of bat-shit crazy fans, Miami has some bandwagon jumpers, a few of whom sometimes go to the games.

Alabama has to compete in the SEC. Miami's heights came as an independent, then as a member of the Big East. They have never competed in a real conference that had 5-6 top 20 teams.

Alabama has a legendary former coach who casts an enormous shadow. Nobody coaches at Miami more than 6 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted