1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

At least the post office is consistent. In their 10% of their routes were unfilled. And I would guess the vacancy rate is higher in upstate New York in January.

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

He's getting away from Gannett after nearly 20 years...

3. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

All of the Columbus Weeklies go bye bye this month.
    ThisWeek newspaper chain to be shuttered by Gannett

Story says some of the This Week's sports writers will be moved to the Dispatch's prep sports desk. Good thing they were essentially the only preps coverage the paper had since Steve Blackledge left.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm glad they're staying in the region; all do good work.

I don't follow the Dispatch too closely; how long did his replacement stay on the preps beat? Just checked, and looks like she's been on MLS/NHL/OSUWBK for a while.

5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Like the old man I am, I opened up my local Gannett paper's e-edition.

On A1, I was greeted by a column about an NFL playoff game from two days ago. They ran a two-deck headline (barf), a massive piece of art and then a whopping four paragraphs of said column. There was one other story on the front. Of A1 of a metro newspaper.

I understand people put zero thought into the print product, but this is absolutely atrocious.

Fdufta likes this.
  6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

7. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Gannett print products are like the long-ago shoppers. They only exist to sell ads. The editorial content is mere filler.

9. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Sad but true. And when the remaining mom-and-pops migrate to online ads targeted to their communities, it will be the end of print. I wonder how many printing plants New Gannett has left.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That Austin design center is clown college.

11. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has a TMC mailer we receive that is nothing but ads. It's called "Shop Now." The company refuses to provide us with a print newspaper but mails us this POS every week.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted