1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Been told that our local shop, which has had a 5 p.m. deadline for the next day's print edition, has had those deadlines moved up to noon for sports and 3 p.m. for news.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

What is or was the reason or reasons for that?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have no specific knowledge. I do know Gannett has said they will greatly accelerate the sale of real estate due to bolster their balance sheet. So I will guess that a printing plant is being closed.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

They moved to the 5 p.m. print deadlines when they closed their press and moved printing to 200 miles away a year or 2 ago. There were some (easily anticipated) issues that came up with getting the pages to the print facility, and getting the papers back to the drivers in time, since then.

That's the biggest reason. Also some mention of giving the Design Studio more flexibility and time to put together the print product.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Studio? OMG. ... Hope you're good with the fix.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

because they use the same designers to do several papers a day, and there’s several papers per press to print

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

And because YMMV with designers, you might end up with dogshit and have to make multiple corrections before the plate gets burned.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's why I despise people who dismiss the phrase, "We've always done it that way," as some sort of deranged dinosaur logic.
    Well, we've always done it that way because plenty of trial and error led us to realize that that way works. When there is a new process or tool that can help that process, we'll certainly consider it and integrate it if necessary. But the shit-stupid belief that new managers come in with that they have to shake things up and reinvent the wheel is just as stupid and dangerous as never adjusting to the times at all — and Gannett seems to go through that exact cycle every eight months.

Fredrick, Baron Scicluna and wicked like this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Why not just make it 9 am and become an afternoon paper?

Smallpotatoes and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Having worked for a Gannett paper, I unfortunately agree with this. I got out just in time.

Batman likes this.
  11. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

One of my shops is going to a 10 a.m. content deadline for print starting October 3. The budget is due at 5 p.m. the day before. The current deadines are 10 a.m. for the budget and noon for content.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This is seriously entering “why bother” territory?

Draft saved Draft deleted