1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Anyone else finding Gannett sites to be down? The two I belong to are.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

They switched all their biggest sites to an upgraded version of their CMS and, predictably, it crashed.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

NJ sites and lohud.com are working fine.

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

My recollection is that there is a widow when insider trading is allowed. Is that correct? Or perhaps this isn't insider trading.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I guess there's a Gannett "lunch out" today where newsroom employees aren't working from 1 p.m.-2 p.m.

Does this really do anything other than make the employees feel like they are doing something worthy? Will Gannett care and/or this have any effect on what's going on there?

This might come off as sarcastic but actually curious. Yes, I don't think it means squat but that doesn't mean I'm right and wondering for other perspectives (if there are any).

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Well, since cuts have already started I'm guessing corporate isn't really paying attention.

7. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

I can't imagine that taking a lunch break and tweeting about it will accomplish anything.

8. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

As someone who participated in today’s lunch break, I don’t think there is an illusion that these acts are supposed to “accomplish anything” of significance. But they do publicize issues, show strength in numbers and prove the ability to rally the troops. Does Gannett care about that? Who knows. Maybe (probably) not. However, I do think it is better to show a somewhat collective voice than to just silently let the company keep doing its thing.

Fredrick likes this.
  9. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

Hearing at least one from my former shop (and there aren't many left) has been told he needs to be at a noon meeting on Friday.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That is definitely ominous.

11. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

Brought back memories for when they got me.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sorry you had to go through that. I retired at the end of last year. They probably would have got me this time.

Equalizer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted