1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I found that the most important part of that press release was not mentioned. The price. If a sale generates enough money to have a material impact on the operations of a public company it should be disclosed. And Gannett likes to trumpet other transaction that reduce debt but they have yet to post a press release on their website..

I am curious if these papers were basically given away because they no longer generate cash flow or they actually generate some cash. If it is the former I wonder how many other papers Gannett has in the same situation.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

https://www.axios.com/gannett-unions-new-york-new-jersey-73431ec6-8115-4037-9491-b791522b1def.html

A question for those of you closer to the situation: Have you seen any improvement in your situation after unionizing? I’m getting the sense that neither side is actually negotiating anything — the companies take away benefits, saying the union has to negotiate for them, and the newsroom’s union people take to Twitter to wag fingers and say “shame, shame.” Is the union using any leverage? Does it have any leverage? Are the unions creating strike funds and preparing members for a work stoppage?

I’m very, very pro-union, but I’m concerned that the organizing efforts so format haven’t yet had much effect. But maybe things are going on behind the scenes that I don’t know.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

CherryRoad Technologies? Reliable? Yeah, right. Michigan's largest county just terminated a contract with those f-ups. CherryRoad was supposed to implement a new system that covered ledger, payroll and procurement systems, but delivered nothing, yet will get nearly $10 million of taxpayer money for the so-called work it did. So, the system that was supposed to cost the county $31 million and already be operational likely will now cost about $57 million and be operational in late 2023. The current system is hanging on by a thread because it's so outdated.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

As much as it'd be fun to rip CherryRoad, I'm finding from the other end that the reason these things often don't get off the ground because the place that signs the contract changes its mind 10 times about what it wants and is never happy with what the firm offers up.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

In this case, it wasn't a matter of change orders. CherryRoad simply didn't deliver.

9. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

From a former colleague who works in NY: "The only thing the union has done is give Gannett an excuse to not give us raises."

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

From my own experience in a union shop owned by Gannett many, many years ago, that’s what I was afraid of.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted