1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Props to Layne Feinman and Robert Smith for doing the work though.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure, you all thought the Weekly World News was trash...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Batman likes this.
  3. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Saw on twitter that The Journal News, Poughkeepsie Journal and Times-Herald Record staffs have unionized. I was shocked by how few people are staffing the newsrooms of those papers, given their former size.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I was part of a 10-person Guild (AFL-CIO) shop in the 2000s, but we all got a full year's severance regardless of seniority when recession layoffs hit.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Props to management. Continue on the path you are walking.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's all roses until the hedge fund sends its bill.

wicked likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not really roses. A profit is better than a loss, so that is good. And it means they were managing expenses better than expected. And they beat expectations. But circulation revenue still dropped year over year; the growth in digital subscriptions isn't doing enough to offset the decline in print revenue. I still think you need to put it in perspective. It's a company with more than a billion and a quarter dollars of debt that has the potential to cripple the company. And it's trying to remake its business. Given the numbers, you'd have to ask if most of those new digital subscriptions were heavily discounted to try to build the numbers up, and if that is the case, what happens when they try to raise the price on people?

SFIND likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To Ragu's point - The reported profit was $15M, I believe, in that article. Meaning, they just need 100 years to get out of debt, at that rate. Also, according to the 2020 balance sheet here, they got $196M that year from selling properties and businesses. They're going to run out of valuable real estate to sell, and I doubt it's going to be cover that whole nut of debt and operating expenses.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Their debt. It's some of the junkiest of junk bonds. But the Federal Reserve destroyed the debt markets to suppress yields. ... and one of the things going on right now is that junk bonds have been a speculative mania, the way a lot of things have been because of the Fed and it's asset purchases and artificially low interest rates.

Junk bonds are debt securities for distressed companies. In order to induce people to lend to those companies, they offer high yields to mitigate the risk -- of the company defaulting and not paying back their loans. In an unmanipulated market, the bonds would be cheap and have trouble finding buyers. And the yields, which have an inverse relationship to the bond price, would be high. And Gannett's interest payments would be way higher than they are in this environment.

Because of the Fed. ... for the first time in history, junk bonds (forget investment grade bonds, which have had real negative yields) are now trading below the inflation rate as measured by the consumer price index. It's so batshit crazy that it's a bit beyond comprehension, but this is the world we have created. Gannetts bonds, yielding 4 to 5 percent suggest there is little risk. ... well, they would be if there was an actual free market with price discovery determining prices.The effect for Gannett is that even though it is paying millions of dollars of interest, it is paying way less in interest (and can manage it) than it would be in a market where the Fed wasn't creating all of that artificiality to keep a lot of struggling companies from drowning (survival of the unfittest in a lot of cases).

These conditions are so artificial and so destructive economically, that they can not go on forever. Either the Fed is going to have to extract itself from the mess it has made (and yields will spike), or the market is going to reassert itself at some point (likely due to a debt crisis) and do it for them. When that happens, the gift of low interest payouts will go away for companies like Gannett. And it's debt load is huge, meaning that with its current operations, it would not be able to service its existing debt.

Woody Long and SFIND like this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gannett saw "same store " revenues increase 6.8% in the second quarter of 2021. But this was compared to the second quarter of 2020, when the world was shut down, and Gannett revenues declined by 28%. Basically, because of reopening some, but not all, of the ad business came back. And Gannett made a little money assisted by lower debt costs.

If Gannett ever gets to the point where it can stabilize it's revenues it will probably pay off it's debts. But if revenues revert to their historical trend of dropping 8-10% a year profits will disappear.

I think revenues will continue to decline. Why? Among other reasons because Gannett reported a nine percent drop in circulation revenues in the quarter. If circulation drops ad revenues will also. I learned a term in my MBA program to describe Gannett's quarter. Dead Man's Bounce.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Gannett handshake

C677D5FF-6356-426E-8D1B-0D37B0DAB8CA.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted