1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good pitcher, not a Hall of Famer.

And I so rooted for Everett to break up that no-hitter, days before 9-11. Don't ask me why. I'm not a Mussina hater, or Everett fan. But I was happy to see Everett get that single with 2 outs in the 9th.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How about Andy Pettitte. If he pitches another 4 years(until 39 years old) and wins 57 more games, he'll hit 250 wins with 2 20 win seasons and 14 (currently) post season wins.

3. I think it either already has or will change. Jim Thome will hit 500 homers but, IMO, should not sniff the Hall of Fame.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bring up David Wells in these discussions as a counterpoint to those that want to annoint Schill for first ballot.

Wells numbers are similar to Schills and he also is a big time post season pitcher.

I don't really think Wells is a HOFer nor do I think Schill is either.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

1. T Glavine* 300 197 3.49
    2. J Kaat 283 237 3.45
    3. M Mussina* 246 141 3.67
    4. D Wells* 235 155 4.10
    5. C Schilling* 213 142 3.46

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No way on Mussina. Even if he got elected on a fluke, he might smirk and decline the honor because he's too intelligent to be summarized on a plaque.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

8. Thome will be a close call. If he gets a couple more good years in, he'll advance up the counting number lists (RBI, runs) to go along with some massively impressive rate totals. Lifetime .400+ OBP, 17th-best all-time slugging percentage. He's only been a DH for about 20 percent of his career games, so he gets defensive credit, too.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't care about stats... Schilling makes it and Mussina does not. I don't know if there was ever a time where Mussina was one of the top five pitchers in the game. There aren't many active pitchers who will make the HOF.

1. Clemens
    2. Maddux
    3. Glavine
    4. R. Johnson
    5. P. Martinez
    6. Hoffman
    7. Rivera
    8. Schilling
    9. Smoltz

I may be forgetting someone, but I think that's where it ends...

Mussina, Wells, Pettitte and a few other good pitchers just won't make it...

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And literally standing on the inside corner.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mike Mussina plays his home games in the state of New York. Thgat5's as close tpo Cooperstown as he ever will get.. and deservedly so.

Pettittte? Don't be ridiculous.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For everyone saying no to Mussina, which starting pitchers who started pitching after 1992 will get in or have a shot?

I'm not talking Roger, Maddux, Glavine, Johnson.

Who in the next generation will make it?

Oswalt and C.C. are a long way off.

Draft saved Draft deleted