1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

An outstanding point... Mussina is a total prick. Probably a Stanford thing... ;D

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

250 is the new 300

JR Richard was the most dominant pitcher is baseball for a time as well, but he is not considered. If you win 200 and are dominant, then you are in. If you win 250, you should be in.

He averaged 15 wins a season for 15 seasons. He always gets at least 10 wins. He is not a waste of a roster spot. Many seasons Schilling and some others have taken up a roster spot with six or seven wins.

Moose gets the nod. Not first ballot, but he gets the nod.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5 inches is the new 8 inches

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Mussina has no shot, for reasons others have mentioned.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jackpot.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mussina's numbers are a better than Schills based on a similiar number of innings pitched. Biggest difference is that he has 245 wins to Schills 213.

Agree on Wells not getting in but he has pretty good numbers that track pretty closely with Schill - 235 wins to 213 . He also was a pretty good post season pitcher.

Based on numbers before any of above get in Jim Kaat warrants consideration with 283 wins. He always seems to be forgotten in any of these discussions but look at his numbers. They are very good.

I just do not see the"Schill is a lock" first ballot HOFer theory. I think it is just wishful thinking by some of his dwindling group of media fans.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Pedro and Schilling get in. The 2004 Red Sox World Championship is icing on their cake. Martinez was the dominant pitcher in the sport's greatest offensive era. Schilling was consistently excellent, failed by lousy Phillies teams.

Mussina was never in their class. Good, sometimes very good, but not an all-timer.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is it a joke that Bunning is in with 1 20 win season and 224 career wins, but John (288), Kaat (283), Blyleven (287) and Morris (254) aren't?

I can understand Juan Marichal with 6 20+ win season and only 243 career wins.

Certainly Players like Gibson, Ford, Hubbell, Wait Hoyt, even Catfish are deserving, so 300 or even 250 isn't the end all and be all. But Mussina was at least as good as Bunning.

Hal Newhouser?

BTW for players with a Minimum of 1000 IP, 3000 PA and 100 decisions for career, Babe Ruth is 14th in career ERA, 2.28. Pedro and Maddox are the only active players in the top 200. And if Pedro pitches another 2 years, his era will balloon, significantly.

9. No way Mussina gets in, or at least he doesn't deserve it. Can you honestly say that he comes up as one of the greatest pitchers of his generation? I think not.

And, heyabbott, it is a joke that Bunning is in. He doesn't belong. Neither does Schilling ... and I can't believe someone even brought up David Wells. It's too early to laugh that hard.

Bringing up the 2004 World Series is like trying to justify Hall of Fame status on just one season. Roger Maris isn't in the Hall of Fame, and he shouldn't be. Neither should Schilling or his bloody sock.

As much as baseball tries to force it upon everybody, it's not ENTIRELY about numbers. Sandy Koufax is a prime example of that.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And everyone that hits 500 home runs will get in? The slide rule for hitters has changed but not pitchers?

How many games do today's pitchers pitch only to be yanked at the sixth or seventh inning when the game was tied?

Look at how many pitchers will reach 250 wins in the next 10 years.

Zito has 110 and Oswalt has 109 and they are what? 29 and 30? Vazquez, Halladay and Buehrle averaging 18 wins a season for the next seven seasons, they might sniff at it. No one in the next seven years has a shot. Maybe one of those guys will reach 250, but they will have to be winning 18 games a year past 35 years old.

30 percent of a baseball roster is made up of pitchers. I think same (or at least close) ratio should be getting into the HOF.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

And because it's not all about numbers, Schilling makes an interesting test. His counting stats are not unusually distinctive, but he has had high impact at given moments and, yes, is famous. People will talk about him far longer than about Mussina's 16-11 seasons.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Um, I think the rule for home runs changed as soon as some players got either implicated or busted for steroid use.

Draft saved Draft deleted