1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2007.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Eh. Mussina is a Yankee, so that's worth about 20 percent of the vote right there. Otherwise, he's a fringe guy -- just like Edmonds, Biggio (who gets in based on a milestone) and some others.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Glavine didn't need 300 to be a lock... Neither does Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez or Schilling...

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are better pitchers than Mussina not in the Hall, so Mussina shouldn't get in.
    He's been very good for most of his career, but never great.
    Most wins without a 20 win season is an insufficnet reason to elect him to the Hall of Fame. He's not even the Tony Perez of pitchers.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, no Cy Young for Morris.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Johnson and Martinez are locks because they were so clearly dominant for a long period of time. They'll be this generation's equivalent of Fergie Jenkins and Sandy Koufax.

Schilling might fall into Jack Morris-land, even with the bloody sock. His numbers will look good, not great. And who knows how the writers will feel about him and his BLOG! The HOF voters have made very clear that willingness to lick their balls, or willingness to kick them in the nards over and over, can be a deciding factor on whether or not you get in. That's why Morris and Jim Rice will always be on the outside.

By the way, getting injured and becoming a reliever might have been the best thing that ever happened to John Smoltz's HOF chances. Without it, he's likely a 260- to 270-game winner who is on the margins. With it, he finishes with 225 or 230 wins and 150 saves, and gets in like Dennis Eckersley.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

No CYs, no 20-win seasons, no titles, no way.
    Mussina is the Jim Furyk of baseball, he doesn't look like he enjoys what he does and ranks as very good, not great.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Schilling will go in on the first ballot... Helping get the Red Sox that title will have that kind of impact... Also, helping the D-Backs to a title won't hurt either...

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If likeability is a factor, Mussina will get less than 10 per cent of the vote.

It is a crime that Morris isn't in.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No, and he was clearly dominant in 2001, 2002 and 2004. But I don't think I'd go as far as to say he's a lock -- at least not on his first ballot. He'll probably get in, but I think it'll be in his second, third or fourth year.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The titles will help him, but he probably won't get to 250 wins (he's at 213 right now, 17 seasons into his career) and if you look at the pitcher comparisons on baseball-reference.com, he's most similar to Kevin Brown. There's two guys on that list who are HOFers, Dazzy Vance and Don Drysdale, and one who's likely to be one (Smoltz). Neither Vance, nor Drysdale were first-ballot guys and, as others have mentioned, Schilling's personality will be a strike against him.

There are only eight pitchers in the HOF with higher ERAs than Schill, most of whom played in the 20's and 30's (Eckersley is the only recent pitcher with a higher ERA) and none of whom made it on the first ballot.

I doubt he makes it first ballot. I hope he doesn't make it all so we don't have to be subjected to him having a podium, microphone and 10 minutes to speak.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mussina won't. Schilling shouldn't, but still may up there anyway because of the supposed superhero factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted