1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mussina: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Dec 8, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that. There are a few people on here who act like flaming assholes on these threads when someone has an opinion that differs from theirs.

All of those players you mentioned are in for different reasons. Robin Roberts relative to his era was better regarded than Mike Mussina was during his. Jim Bunning didn't get elected when he was eligible -- he was a veteran's committee selection. He is actually a pretty good comparison to Mussina in terms of how good he was, and how he was regarded when he played. Bunning was a very good pitcher, but on a list of pitchers from the 50s and 60s, he would not be in most peoples' group of the handful of very best. I kind of consider Mussina that way.

Sutton, Blyleven, Niekro got in because of longevity. I agree with you if you don't think any of them belong in the Hall, but even if the argument is that they are in, therefore. ... Mussina didn't compile the kinds of numbers they did, so if he gets in it won't be for the reason they got through the gate.

Mussina may get in eventually. He's a close call. I expect his percentage to creep up and at least get close. If I was voting, he's about where I'd draw my line, with him falling on the outside because he isn't in the same class as several of his peers who have already been elected, and he didn't have any of the signature moments (for example, Jack Morris' game 7 performance in the 1991 series being one thing I pointed out on that other thread where Whitman was acting like a jerk too) that might put him over the top. If someone disagrees with me because they watched Mussina play and they just feel differently, I can get it. We are discussing borderline Hall of Famers. Jack Morris peaked out at about 67 percent of the vote. Clearly there were people who thought he belonged. And there are clearly people who feel Mussina belongs. He's a reasonably close call. He just falls short for me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Did Mussina throw a horseshit slider, though?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Pettitte was my favortie player of the era, and he had some huge performances, but I can't think of another really good pitcher who had more brutal post-season starts.

JC likes this.
  4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

We're penalizing Mussina for his personality but saying that Schilling goes in first?

cranberry and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Priceless, you calling anybody else an asshole for differing opinions. You act like an asshole daily when people have the nerve to question your investment advice. I hope you use better reasoning and research there than you do here.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't take yourself so seriously. It's message-board banter.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Here was what I said: "Pettitte was a well above average post-season pitcher." Notice, I didn't qualify him the way I did the others I pointed out. ... Nothing like, " ridiculously a big game pitcher." I am pretty realistic about what Andy Pettitte was and wasn't.

Yes, Pettitte had a couple of brutal postseason starts. He got shelled in games in the WS in 96 against Atlanta and the WS in 2001 against Arizona.

But again, just to make sure I actually watched what I what I watched during Pettitte's career, I did the same thing I did for Mussina (the Yankees won 6 of Mussina's post-season starts and lost 9. I never felt great with Mussina getting the start in those kinds of games) . Pettitte had 40 post-season starts as Yankee. The Yankees won 25 of those games and lost 15 of them.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Huge difference here. You act like a huge crybaby pussy when challenged because your fragile self-esteem is threatened. I get irritated because people have stupid ideas about sports. It's "banter" to needle you about being a Penn State homer. It's not "banter" to make a nonsensical case for why Mike Mussina is not a Hall of Famer. Ragu has argued that Mussina pitched in some golden era for pitching, conveniently forgetting the freakazoid middle infielders walloping 60 home runs a year.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

and Morgan Bulkeley, fuck THAT guy.

Kidding aside, I was reading the hall website yesterday and the bios on inductees. Bulkeley was only national league president for one year, but because Ban Johnson, the first AL presidnet was getting inducted in the second class (1937) the powers that be thought it was appropriate to include Bulkeley. Fwiw, Ban Johnson was AL president for 27 years

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Robin Roberts was considered the premier righthanded pitcher in the National League from 1950-1955. He was the NL starter in five consecutive All-Star games. He had a significant period of dominance, fell off sharply at the end of the decade, and reinvented himself as a junkballer. He wasn't Pedro or Warren Spahn, but he's a legit Hall of Famer.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

He wasn't always krap.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am going to hate myself in the morning for this.

Bert Blyleven:

118 ERA+ over 4,970 innings. (Same as Tom Glavine.) Three top five Cy Young Award finishes. Another top seven finish. ERA+ of 120 or more 11 times.

But, yeah. Just longevity.

Draft saved Draft deleted