1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Mulhern Leaving W-S Journal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sammi, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Sammi

Sammi Member

Now here's a source -- the Wake Forest sports message boards (but if the poster is who I think he is, it's legit):

"On Tuesday, employees were notified by email that Mike Mulhern, the NASCAR beat writer the past 35 years, would be let go at the end of the Chase for the Cup in November.

The paper's management cited increased costs of travel and the changing face of NASCAR -- no longer a SE regional operation -- as contributing factors. Instead of paying for a reporter's expenses to Martinsville, North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, Darlington, Charlotte and Richmond twice a year, cities like Kansas City, Chicago, Fontana (Calif.), Dallas-Fort Worth have replaced old-line speedways, driving up travel expense costs.

The paper's management also said that RJ Reynolds no longer sponsoring the Winston Cup circuit, nor holding the annual Winston Cup Preview in Winston-Salem, made the NASCAR beat less important for the newspaper.

The paper's management said it will use the Associated Press and, when available, reports from other Media General newspapers (Martinsville, Richmond, Tampa) to fill the void created by Mulhern's dismissal.

I'm guessing their daily and Sunday circulation will take an enormous hit, maybe losing several thousand over the next year or two."
  2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Lord. Could Media General be any stupider or more short-sighted?
  3. lono

lono Active Member

Confirmed. Not a rumor.

Newspaper deserves to fail. :-X
  4. hey! where are media general papers gonna get six-paragraph quotes from?!

that said, i love reading the guy's stuff. if they really aren't even going to cover the southeast races in their wheelhouse, which is the implication by mentioning they'll be getting copy from richmond and danville (for martinsvile), they are screwed.
  5. accguy

accguy Member

My guess is that Media General will end up having a chain NASCAR writer. That's what Landmark did/does and it seems as if Charlotte essentially provides almost all racing for McClatchy.

I don't like to see people losing their jobs, but this is one area where having a "chain" writer makes sense financially.
  6. Sly

Sly Active Member

I thought the title of this thread was a mistake about Tom Mulhern leaving the Wisconsin State Journal.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Just give 'em a chance ... the month's not over yet.

How fast will ESPN snap him up?
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's some weak-ass sh*t. Factually wrong, for one thing (Martinsville, Richmond, Charlotte are still twice-a-year NASCAR towns, and there was racing in Cali well before Fontana), and they make it sound like RJ Reynolds just jumped ship on Monday.

Maybe a local will correct me, but I don't see how the racing beat could ever be less important at that paper.
  9. losing five dates from the carolinas for california, phoenix, new hampshire, texas and texas again surely didn't help matters, but it's not like it happened overnight, either.

and acc, if they were going to have a chain-wide writer, mulhern should have been the guy.
  10. accguy

accguy Member

I wasn't saying anything differently. Wasn't my intention at all. Not passing any sort of judgement.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No writer covers all 36 dates. Make your schedule cuts smartly and, from North Carolina, you won't be taking many planes to races.

I just love how they cited frigging Chicago (Joliet, in fact) as some kind of exotic locale that they couldn't possibly get to without breaking the bank.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Martinsville is not an MG property.
Draft saved Draft deleted