1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike & Mike, Ditka to call NFL game for ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jun 20, 2007.

1. noodles

noodles Member

I'd rather have to stomach listening to Duke Vitale call a Blue Devils game. Mike and Mike in the Magazine, calling Arena games and now MNF. Isn't their 15 minutes long over?

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

When ESPN tries to use desk guys as PBP voices, they often struggle. I'm not sure why they think those skills are transferable, and if I was a PBP pro I'd be insulted.

3. Bonnie Bernstein will be the sideline reporter.

So I'll be watching.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You know, they could get ever Mike in the sports world to join them, and then it would be Mike & Mike & Mike & Mike & Mike & Mike & Mike & Mike & Mike & Mike ...

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is my understanding that Mike & Mike did some Arena Football games. Now, I don't watch Arena Football, but I'm going to guess that ESPN was letting them cut their teeth on that for a while to see how they do.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Didn't Golic do color for them before? Ditka has experience in studio, too. Plus, Greenberg has to have some idea/experience at play-by-play.

I don't think this will be awful, but at least it should be fun.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Golic has college play by play experience and preseason NFL games. He was actually good. Golic knows the game.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Maybe they'll come up with some of those witty songs they play all the time.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I did catch some of them. I've heard worse, but Del_B made a valid point. Greeny has chops as an anchor and a sportstalker, but - at least in the broadcasts I watched - they didn't translate quite as well to PBP duties.

But hey, that's just my opinion...

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My goodness, there are already so many horseshit announcing teams out there you need a pair of boots to wade through them. Give the new guys a shot. They've already got an audience, could be fun.

Plus GOlic's a Cleveland boy, he rulezzzz!

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[blue]Hopefully they'll also have those brilliant and interesting "man-up" questions three or four times during the game. And, of course, going to every commercial break: Greeny: "This is the NFL." Golic: "On ESPN."

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Didn't click on the link, but I'm guessing it's 49ers-Cardinals.

Those teams and that announcing crew deserve each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted