1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Lupica Biofile

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is a Hall of Fame post. Just needed something about how Yankee Fan is April for it to be perfect!

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"At the Presentation of the Gifts during the funeral Mass, Bulakowski and Piel Pennington, an old UMass quarterback, brought up wine and cheese and then the kids from the last baseball team Coppo ever coached, a group of 13-year-old All-Stars who played in a big travel league in the next town over,"

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A friend writes....

"My first game as the Tigers asst. PR guy. Tigers Yanks, 1987. Lost the game 2-1 in 10. Larry Herndon with a HR off the facing of the bleachers in dead CF. Morris goes 9.2 and loses.

I get to the press box an hour before the game. Crazy busy. Ewald is on the field helping with the pre-game. He has armed me with a seating chart. I know the Yankees PR guy, Harvey Greene. (Later the Miami Dolphins PR guy)

All of a sudden a press box attendant comes up with this short guy in a long-ish dark gray overcoat. The short guy is clearly agitated. The attendant starts to explain to me, and the short guy cuts him off and says "I told Harvey Greene to tell Dan Ewald I was coming and to save me a seat."

I say, "Let's find Harvey Greene and find out what's up."

The short guy says, "That's not important. I need a seat."

I say, "It is important. I don't know who you are."

The short guy is really agitated and says, "I'm Mike Lupica. New York Daily News."

Who?

(sigh) "Mike Lupica. New York Daily News."

I see Harvey Greene. "Harvey..."

Lupica says... "Look we don't need to make a federal case out of this, I just need a seat."

"Harvey... is this gentleman from your press corps?"

"Yeah... Mike Lupica. New York Daily News. Just needs a seat."

I say "Mr. Lupica... you can sit right down there." (pointing) Lupica turns without a word and follows the attendant to an open seat.

Harvey sez to me, "What was his problem?"

"Says he told you that he was coming and asked you to have Ewald save him a seat. I'm sorry, man."

"No, he didn't. Never does. He's an asshole. Don't worry about it."

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.