1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Lupica Biofile

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbio

mrbio Member

Here's a good read for ya, with a sportswriting legend...
    Also have Jim Murray too somewhere in the archives.
    Enjoy!

Biofile with Mike Lupica
    Published by Scoop Malinowski

Status: New York Daily News Columnist since 1977; Author of books “Heat”, “Bump & Run”, “Travel Team”, “Full Court Press”, among others. Has alsoo written for Esquire Magazine, ESPN The Magazine, Golf Digest, Parade, Men’s Journal, Travel = Leisure Golf.

DOB: May 11, 1952 In Oneida, NY

Childhood Heroes: “Jimmy Breslin and Pete Hamill.”

Hobbies/Interests: “I like to play tennis. I’m a pretty good golfer. Mostly just being with my kids.”

Favorite Movie: “Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.”

Favorite TV Shows: “I’m a big fan of 24 and House.”

Musical Tastes: “Classic rock ‘n roll.”

Early Career Memory: “Oh, meeting all the big guys, meeting Red Smith and having him tell me he thought I was doing a good job. Having Breslin act as a go-between for one of my first jobs. Just like a young ballplayer, meeting some of his heroes. First time I met Pete, first time I met Jimmy, first time I met Bill Goldman, first time I met Elmore Leonard.”

Pre-Writing Feeling: “I think that, I’ve done this sort of work before [smiles].”

First Journalism Job: “Writing stories for the Nashua Telegram in Nashua, New Hampshire for $5 a story when I was a junior in high school.”

First Car: “A Volkswagen Bug when I was in Boston College – I paid $1,100 for it. (Color?) Beige.”

Greatest Career Moment: “Having ‘Travel Team’ be number one on ‘The New York Times Best-Seller’ list.”

Most Painful Moment: “I’ve had a pretty great career. I can’t think of a very painful moment.”

Embarrassing Career Memory: “I suppose I’ve missed a deadline, but I can’t think of one off-hand.”

Favorite Events To Cover: “The Final Four, because I take my three sons with me every year. And if I’ve got my kids with me there really is no second place.”

Favorite Athletes To Interview: “Arthur Ashe was always a great favorite of mine. Reggie Jackson still is.”

Favorite Athletes To Watch: “Oh, I love watching Federer play tennis. I always liked watching the old Knicks play basketball. And I love watching Tiger Woods play golf. (MLB?) I like to watch the Mets play right now. I’m a Mets fan.”

Favorite Vacation Spot: “Any beach that I’m at with my family. The beaches of eastern Long Island are pretty great.”

People Qualities Most Admired: “Loyalty.”

Career Accomplishments: Youngest columnist ever at a New York paper – for New York Daily News at age 25 in 1977; co-wrote “Reggie” and “Parcells.”

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Harmonic convergence!

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

This is schtick, right? Like, this has to be someone's second account.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most Painful Moment: “When I thought Lisa Olson was 21 and was posting mean things on SportsJournalists.com about me."

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Most painful for whom?

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

These sort of remind me of Gatehouse Q and A's. ;D

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

douchetastic.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This biofiles smack more of biohazard

9. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didja hear it?
    I heard Boom's head explode all the way from here!

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You. Or Lisa. Or the poor editor at the NYDN who has to deal with this dwarf on a daily basis.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Has there been a Biofile on the stars of Biodome?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.