1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach walking the plank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, even when he's on his best behavior, it's a force field of weirdness.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That too. I remember watching and thinking it was a real reach of a story for 60 Minutes.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right after that aired, a friend emailed me and said, "Who is the Texas Tech grad who works at 60 Minutes?"

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Key section of the story:<blockquote>A source close to the family said James sustained a concussion on Dec. 16, was examined on Dec. 17 and told not to practice due to a concussion and an elevated heart rate. The source said Leach called a trainer and directed him to move James "to the darkest place, to clean out the equipment and to make sure that he could not sit or lean. He was confined for three hours."

According to the source, Leach told the trainer, two days later, to "put (James) in the darkest, tightest spot. It was in an electrical closet, again, with a guard posted outside."

An attorney for Leach said that while James was secluded twice, the circumstances were not as portrayed in that account.

Ted Liggett, Leach's attorney, said James "was placed in an equipment room as it was much cooler and darker" than the practice field "after a doctor had examined him and returned him to the field."

Liggett said that on that day, a trainer was posted outside the room and that James was provided ice. Liggett said that James was secluded for one to two hours. Liggett said that on another occasion, James was placed in a "press room with air conditioning and a stationary bike he could use."</blockquote>He gone.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, Coach Leach's laughable defense doesn't just apply to his team?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Assuming the above account is true...

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

And the karma bug rears up and claims another asshole.

See ya, Mike.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I tend to agree - if this is true he is gone but again, it all depends on how badly the administration wants him gone and it seems like they like having him around.

9. Football_Bat

Maybe it's a Gary Barnett situation where they bring him back for a year, but he's on the thinnest of ice. The university president at the time loathed Barnett. But then again, Barnett's buyout was $3 million when he took it and maybe the school didn't want to take that hit the year before. I don't think Leach's contract has a buyout clause at all.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The other thing is, remember this -- Texas Tech is the school who hired Bobby Knight after he was fired at IU for all of his trangressions and physical confrontations so it is not exactly like the administration has a track record of frowning on these things.

11. Football_Bat

That's true, but Knight and Myers are buddies, so that makes it a little different. I don't know how tight Myers and Leach are.

12. "Texas Tech grad who works for '60 Minutes'" = Scott Pelley, the main interviewer on the Leach piece.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/02/26/60II/main502114.shtml

Although I don't think he ever graduated from Tech, but is a Lubbock native.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.