1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach walking the plank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That was my point - had Mangino won a little bit more and the administration didn't find him to be a flapping douchebag, pushing a player would not have been an issue.

Because they wanted to fire him without looking like the bad guys, pushing a player turned into aggravated assault.....

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In general I'd probably agree, Zag.

Two things change this for me. It's Craig James kid, and James is a big enough name that he will carry a lot of credibility and not be ignored. The other thing is, treatment of concussions is becoming a major issue right now, and if Leach is found to have abused a kid because he was sitting out with a concussion, I think the school administration will freak.

The only way I see Leach surviving this is if James completely backs off.

3. mb

mb Active Member

It's real simple. If Gerald Myers is still pissed enough over last year and wants to show how big his ol' shrivelly balls are, he'll fire Leach.

If he gives a shit about winning more than 5 games a year, this will be over in a day.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You're right. I guess I was responding to you, but I should have been responding to dimwit Mark May on ESPn who was talking about Mangino getting fired for the same kind of thing.

Lou Holtz, meanwhile, said sitting in a dark electrical closet it standard op when he gets headaches, so no big deal.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4776848

This has both sides of the story, from James and Leach's attorney.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just when I thought the weirdness of the Urban Meyer story couldn't be topped. Along comes Leach and this tale of something, something. I still can't put my head around it.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd expect a little more than "a source close to the family" when a member of the family works for ESPN.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's bad enough that he did this, but wouldn't you think twice about doing this to the son of one of the top college football broadcasters in the country?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought of that too. Takes a little of the luster off the "mad genius" who has managed to get on the cover of Texas Monthly and the New York Times magazine (er, I think he was on the cover of NYT mag; I know I read the story...).

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hell, 60 Minutes did a feature on him.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe he's lost his inner pirate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.