1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach to The "U" ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did Kelly have a big buyout? I must have missed that one.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Buyout was 1 million. But more than that certainly was not a clean departure. I guess it never is.

3. Mizzougrad96

Schools need to stop acting like jilted lovers. Going from Cincy to Notre Dame is a no-brainer. So is going from Tennessee to USC and West Virginia to Michigan and Utah to Florida so on and so on...

4. Boom_70

Cuts both ways though as to who will be jilted lover.

As far as Kelly buyout you also have to factor in Weiss buyout which was rumored at 18 mil.

5. Mizzougrad96

There are probably 10-15 programs that don't have to worry about their successful coach bolting for another program.

Those schools have to worry about their coaches leaving for the NFL.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think the number is that high. Hell, I would say that 3 out of 5 Athletic Directors have a thought in the back of their mind that their Head Coach, Assistant Coach could make the jump. For example; You don't think that Jay Jacobs isn't thinking every night that Chizik or Malzahn could make the jump? It's a job. Some of these guys think of it as just that .....a job. The guys like Paterno.....maybe Ferentz even..(I could lump Urban Meyer in here as well, but I really don't care for the guy)...it's more than that......how many times has Ferentz turned down the NFL? Paterno certainly didn't have to stick around for 44 years.........

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Chef in my experience, successful college coaches and successful pro coaches are by temperament unsuited to be successful switching between the two. It's a matter of what they like or don't like to do. I can't imagine for a second Bill Belichick spending time in some kid's living room trying to tell him and his family how important the kid will be if he plays for Belichick's team. By the same token, I couldn't see Meyer or Saban, who outrank everyone in their respective states, dealing with the money issues and not being number one in their organizations, outranked by either their top players, the owner, or both. So they stick to what they know and do best.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more about Belichick; He would be bored out of his skull coaching college; Hell, he's won numerous Super Bowls; He's too young to retire; What else is he going to do? Television? NO WAY. AD's and College Presidents don't think rationally when it comes to their coaches. Take Bob Stoops. Whenever his contract is within a year or two from coming due.....chances are very good that he's not going anywhere.....how about Saban? He could dump Alabama in the middle of the night tonight for an NFL job and not even think about it. There are just some coaches who are never satisfied with what they have; No matter the situation.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Saban did it with the Dolphins. But point taken. College is a recruiting game. Pro football is a salary cap/draft game.

10. Boom_70

From X and O's perspective I would think college would be more interesting to many coaches- more variety of offenses and defenses week in and week out.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It really depends. I know someone who left as an NFL position coach job for a College D-I OC job this year. He is a disciple of the Joe Gibbs school. So he basically walked into his new job with the Washington Redskins old playbook (Not really; it was the playbook he used in his pro job the year before) and some pretty grandiose ideas. It didn't take much longer than the first spring practice before he realized he'd have to simplify the terminology, decrease the number of sets, simplify, and then simplify it some more. The kids could only handle so much.

College players have limitations. Pro teams do more week to week to vary what they do based on their opponents. College programs have a basic playbook and run variations of it and might introduce a few wrinkles every week. The kids usually aren't smart enough, and don't get enough practice time, to introduce whole new game plans throughout the season.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saban was also pretty much a complete ass-flaming disaster in Miami, which basically proves the point, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted