1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach to The "U" ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 16, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Will Peter King tweet the news of Brett Favre sending pictures of his privates via cellphone to Mary Beth?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Leach system has turned a lot of average QB's into great ones.

If he ends up at The U Jacory Harris could be the best QB that he has had to work with.

Why would he switch from the system he knows? Oka St brought in one of Leach's assistance's and put in his O. Just look at the numbers they have been putting up.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jacory Harris is the antithesis of say, Graham Harrell. He's a better athlete, better potential as a QB. But he'd be a disaster running the offense Texas Tech ran.

What are the knocks are on Harris? He gets rattled when his first read is covered. He forces balls into tight coverage -- poor decisions. Bad footwork. Really bad mechanics and technique. Holds the ball too low. Doesn't set his feet in the direction of his throws, which affects his accuracy. Throws off his back foot a lot. Overthrows receivers on long patterns. Stands upright in the pocket. Rattled by pressure (was constantly yelling at teammates / linemen). Oh, and he is turnover prone.

He has some solid pros, but I am not sure how they fit into the spread offense Mike Leach made his name on. Leach relies on QBs who make good decisions, have a quick release, keep the ball high and are accurate as all hell -- even if they are weak armed. Harris has a very strong arm. And he is quick as all hell and can pull the ball down and get first downs with his feet--he can outrun most lbs. And he moves laterally as well as anyone to make d-ends miss him in the pocket, although he gets taken down a lot because he has such bad mechanics. But that isn't what Leach wants out of a QB.

Good luck with Jacory Harris trying to run an offense where he has to make reads at the line of scrimmage and throw 50 times a game. And why would Miami employ an offense like that when they always have more speed at running back than 95 percent of the teams in the country? Leach doesn't run the ball.

"I’ve thought about going a whole season without calling a single running play.” -- Mike Leach

It's just a bad fit, even if Leach wasn't such a goofball.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That is awesome!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unfortunately, it won't be. I think he would jump at any job in a BCS conference.

I'm a big fan of the guy. His teams were damn fun to watch.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unless you were his defensive coordinator.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What school in its right mind would want to hire a guy who's locked in litigation with the company televising the BCS? Not to mention a boatload of other college football.

What Leach should do is drop all the ridiculous lawsuits, spend a quiet year doing TV, rehab his image, and go after the big job in one year.

8. Boom_70

Perhaps unwittingly-- but your post points out a bigger issue - the controlling monopolistic ways of ESPN.

Are you suggesting that ESPN would not give favorable treatment to a school that hires Leach? If that's the case then Leach might have a very strong case.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Oh hell yes.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Lugnuts

Not at all. But when a school takes a chance on a guy by investing millions, they like a 'clean' situation. Getting into a messy situation with a guy in litigation with one of your partners doesn't make good business sense.

If you're going to roll the dice on someone, you don't want muck all over the table where you roll.

11. Boom_70

Maybe terms of discussion include Leach dropping his suit vs ESPN.

Leach may be cleaner than many because he is free of contract.

Certainly the hires of Kiffin and Kelly last year were not "clean"

12. Lugnuts

True.

Leach is technically 'free of contract'... But he is suing Texas Tech for breach of contract.

Honestly.. I'm fascinated by the Leach situation. Interesting guy + First Amendment issue... If it only had a gender equity issue, it'd be my perfect storm.

But I can't wait to see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted