1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach to The "U" ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

All good points but "The U" is about winning National Championships not ACC Championships. I am sure many are tired of taking a back seat to Florida in terms of recruiting. Leach Spread O might tilt the balance back.

As far as academics Leach had a good track record at Tech. Not sure what Shalia would not be at least interested.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is a bit unfair. A big chunk of Larry Coker's success on the field was due to Shannon. His defenses were top 10 in the country almost every year. Saying he brought it back from the dead was too hyperbolic on my part, but I meant that it was out of control, clearly spiraling downhill, and Shannon has brought it back to some respectability. Coker's last season was almost a losing season. They won their last game against BC to save it. Things were clearly going downhill, and if Coker had stayed, he wouldn't have fared much better than Shannon did his first season. That losing season was a function of where the program was at that moment, not the coaching. Feel free to add any incidents I am forgetting, but Shannon took over an out of control program, that had recently had a player shot dead and that "7th Floor Crew" thing.

Shannon got zero respect his first year or two from people. He was consistently considered one of the worst coaches at a BCS school. He has shut up a lot of people.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Miami won't fire Shannon because their isn't any money to pay coaches to sit. The resources at the school are very limited.

Larry Coker's success was due to Butch Davis and his recruiting not Shannon's coaching ability.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Naw, at Miami the cops lock the players up, not the coach. Bad fit.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Boom, are you trying to get Mike Wise to retweet this?

@MikeWise RT@Boom_70: If Shannon out, Mike Leach in? Arrrrrrgh! Lock up yer fat little girlfriends!

8. Boom_70

DD - that's funny stuff . Might be just the quote that would do Leach in. Donna Shalala is little and a tad portly. She might take offense.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Leach will have his pick; Boulder, CO. next year, or wait another year or two, and get K-State after Wild Bill retires.

As much as I would like to see Leach in Manhattan, I doubt Snyder signs off on him; Which would bring tears to the eyes of barkeeps all over Aggieville, who are struggling to deal with the departure of Bob Huggins.

10. Boom_70

Looks like my September prediction might become a reality.

He can start this week - put the spread in in time for bowl to drum up some excitement for recruiting.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, as I look at the threat titles on the board, I see two Mike Leach subjects. I have to think that a college president, even one less political than Shalala, might be somewhat reluctant to hire a coach who's in litigation with one of the primary financial supporters of college football.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Except that Leach's name is supposedly on the list.

I think it would be incredibly stupid. But the stupid happens often enough.

Mark Richt anyone?

Draft saved Draft deleted