1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Leach to The "U" ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

I'm only taking about since they've been in the ACC. And, yes, since they've been in the ACC, they've been mediocre.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Chef said that they've been mediocre since 1988. In the early 00s they were anything but mediocre. It doesn't matter whose players were on the team. They got screwed out of the championship game in '00 and then romped to the title in '01 and if it wasn't for a bad PI call they would have won the championship again in '02. And actually, they were damn good in the few years after 1988 so pretty much Chef's entire premise is moronic.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's no excuse for Miami not to have ACC titles stacked up like cordwood.

4. mb

mb Active Member

I'd be willing to cut them a little slack for just having joined the conference, but Va. Tech joined at the same time, and the title count is:

Virginia Tech: 4, Miami: 0

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK: I stand corrected on the Canes in early 2000. But the if, if, if........ifs don't win titles, wins do. Miami was never going to win that Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State.......Nebraska laid down like a Las Vegas whore in Pasadena........

Playthrough is right; There should be ACC (America's Crappiest Conference) titles lined up all throughout Coral Gables.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Butch Davis does not get enough credit for the job he did at Miami. What he's done since then, I don't know. But he did a very good job there. Took over a program in trouble and built it to where Larry Coker won a championship with his players and should have won (and some will say DID win) another.

Miami and Coker started to slide when Coker started coaching Coker's players. It doesn't take much to slip to the next level down and it is a bitch getting back as Miami has shown consistently since. Divisions in the ACC were set up (and the first however many title games set in Florida) because the league sprung wood thinking about those FSU-Miami title games. How's that worked out?

The Miami teams of early this decade were ridiculously good and talented. Since? A few pieces here and there but nowhere near as many. Those teams turned Ken Dorsey into a star. Wonder how Dorsey would do with these Miami teams?

Draft saved Draft deleted